Resto on hold - have a couple questions

Booberdoo

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1974 15' Chrysler Hydro-Vee Sport Fisherman. This boat is a perfect fit for my needs in a small boat. The 70 HP Johnson is enough to get me around and pull a skier or tube.

The boat is in decent shape although it is showing its age. I do know the transom has rot in it, confined to the upper port side behind the tow hook. Now before everyone screams that it needs to be replaced now, please keep in mind that I am a Structural Engineer by trade and am aware of the forces / stresses involved, its just that I work with buildings not boats. I took some time calculating the resistance that the boat incurrs in the water when loaded, with and without a skier and pretty much every variable I could think of. Then using calclated thrust of the engine I was able to determine an appx stress loading that the transom is subject to in various situations. From there it was a simple matter of applying stress to the transom utilizing a stress gauge. I am confident in its safety for the season.

My question lies more in the tow hook area. I was thinking if I took a painted piece of 1/4 ply and sistered it in behind the transom it would reinforce the tow hook area enough to feel safe hooking a bridle to. What do you think? The girls are wanting to go skiing and tubing and they are getting upset with me because I refuse to hook up... I don't need irritated girls...

Also, I saw mentioned in another thread that Chrysler utilized all foam and no stringers in their boats; does this apply to mine also? I do not have a bilge so I assume this to be true? Personally, when winter hits I would like to install stringers and a bilge during the resto.

I will resurrect this thread when the resto commences, but I would appreciate some insight into the few questions I have asked just to get me through the season safely.

BTW: I have been reading through these threads and I must say there is a lot of knowledge and talent here, the hull extension thread is one of the most detailed and fully encompassing journals I have seen to date.

Thanks

BTW: If anyone wonders where my nick came from, its what I call my 8 yo Greyhound.

Last edited:

Booberdoo

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Resto on hold - have a couple questions

If you just want to tow a skiier/tuber ect their are other ways of going about it like this http://www.iboats.com/Airhead_Tow_H...13800261--**********.328561916--view_id.38989

As for the foam/stringer system in your boat I doubt anyone can answer that. I think that you will have to drill some holes and findout yourself.

Fuzzey

Thanks. I already have the bridle (harness)... The problem is that the port side stern hook is mounted to a rotten area in the transom. I was asking for an opinion on using a piece of 1/4 ply as a backer just to get through the season.

As far as the foam, info on the construction techniques for these boats seems scarce and I was just hoping someone here had experience with them and could possibly offer some clues.

Thanks again

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would go with a lot more than .250 (1/4) ply.

I havent seen your boat, but if you go that route, extend the ply well past the rotted portion. If it is only for towing a skier, go atleast .625 (5/8) ply and atleast 6"-8" past any rotted wood.

Booberdoo

Seaman Apprentice

I would go with a lot more than .250 (1/4) ply.

I havent seen your boat, but if you go that route, extend the ply well past the rotted portion. If it is only for towing a skier, go atleast .625 (5/8) ply and atleast 6"-8" past any rotted wood.

Thanks, I'll post some pics when I get a chance, I wasn't starting the resto yet so I didn't see any real point right now.

I planned on just cutting a piece to fit across the entire inside of the transom so I could utilize the motor mount bolts and thus not have to drill any mounting holes. I figures 1/2" would be sufficient but I will go with 5/8" per your suggestion.

Thanks again.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

your idea will work but i would use angle iron (a good length of it)

you might have to use longer tow hooks. but no big deal. re, check the transom by drilling holes and looking at the wood that comes out . (like a core sample) then you can find out the true extent of the rot.
(rot is a sneaky thing, you may have more than you know)

just remember, this is a band aid for somthing that is structurely weak.

when you re-fit the boat, make sure you do the transom, or your little girls will not be the only ones in the water. :D

cheers
oops

Booberdoo

Seaman Apprentice

your idea will work but i would use angle iron (a good length of it)

you might have to use longer tow hooks. but no big deal. re, check the transom by drilling holes and looking at the wood that comes out . (like a core sample) then you can find out the true extent of the rot.
(rot is a sneaky thing, you may have more than you know)

just remember, this is a band aid for somthing that is structurely weak.

when you re-fit the boat, make sure you do the transom, or your little girls will not be the only ones in the water. :D

cheers
oops

Thanks oops,

Exactly how do you suggest using the angle? Straight across from one tow hook to the other?

I did drill a few exploratory holes and have a good idea as to the extent of the rot, which is why I stress tested everything before putting it in the water. The rot seems limited to the extrem upper port side, right where the tow hook is. Last thing I want is an accident, which is why I am asking the experienced...

Like I said, I just want to SAFELY get through the season and then tear it down this winter, at which time I'll make it like new again. This forum is indespensible as a resource.

Without getting too descriptive, they're not my "little girls" which would probably be easier to manage.