Resealed alpha as much as I can

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all: Well I have finished resealing my 1996 Alpha 1 gen 2 drive. Not fully as did not have the tools required to do complete job. Also changed the impeller and plate.

pressure Tested 15 psi.... Passed
Vaccuum Tested 6 inches water column .... Passed

My only concern is the water pump face seal. I did not have the water pump face seal tool. What I did is insert the lower lip of the seal in to the water pump housing, lube the heck out of it, and carefully slide the housing with the face seal already inserted into it, down the shaft and bolted the housing in place.

This is of course not how the manual said to do it but I did not have the tool. When I turn the shaft, the seal also turns with the shaft.

does anyone think this Is this going to be an issue?

Thanks for all your help

BILL

chappy190

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Resealed alpha as much as I can

I also do not have the tool and was wondering about that. Also did you use Quicksiler Perfect Seal on the gasket??? I cannot find this anywhere by me.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If the seal is turning with the shaft i would think its going to wear it out quick..Just my opinion...

Loctite aviation gasket sealer is a good substitute for perfect seal..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That seal does turn with the shaft, that is what it is supposed to do.
If you don't have that fancy special tool, just drill a piece of wood so it will go onto the vertical shaft. Doesn't have to be tight, but not a big gap either. Then lay a couple of 5/16" drill bits on the pump housing and push the wood down while pushing the seal at the same time, till the wood hits the drill bits. This will make the face seal level and the correct pressure of that thin lip of the seal on the pump housing.
Thats all the special tool does. It sets it at 5/16"

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Permatex #3 aviation sealer is what I used.

Quote: " that thin lip of the seal ON the pump housing"

That thin lip of the seal goes through the Pump housing and into the housing does it not?

You say thin lip of the seal "on" the pump housing. Does it stay out of the housing and just sit on top of the pump housing?

I have inserted the lip into the housing. That it how it was when I removed the housing.

Man I do not want to crack that outdrive again, LOL.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Quote: " that thin lip of the seal ON the pump housing"

That thin lip of the seal goes through the Pump housing and into the housing does it not?
Nope, goes on the outside of the housing.

I have inserted the lip into the housing. That it how it was when I removed the housing.
That means the last person doing it didn't read the manual either

Man I do not want to crack that outdrive again,
Well, if you want it right, you don't have much choice.
PS> you might want to look at the Merc manual this time.
Here is a link to it.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14cover.pdf
Look at section 3B near the end.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Once again I thank you Don!

Off to crack the drive apart, LOL....

What is the purpose of the face seal then? If it just sits on to of the housing then I cannot see it preventing water from coming out the shaft hole in the pump housing.