resale outboard to paint or not to paint

apollothesun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a couple outboards that im ready to sale. a few scratches here and there but overall a great character motor with signs of use. i was curious if you paint an outboard does it lower the value or raise it. im no picasso but a shake and spray kind of guy. im not trying to mask any problems, but just give it an overall spit shoe appearance. of course they run as im firm in my asking price, but should i spray or not. whats your opinion?
thanks

apollothesun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: resale outboard to paint or not to paint

oh yeah these are 10hp and below, mercury, sears ted williams, honda decade old m

skagit17

Cadet

I wouldn't paint them...the paint on outboards is really specialized because it has to be able to handle saltwater, sun, and heat. The paint will peel off after you sell them, and people will wonder why you gave them a 'krylon' rebuild!

64osby

Admiral

If they are 3 different colors, paint, otherwise I wouldn't paint.

nwcove

Admiral

im always leary of " dolled up" obs. paint can hide some serious issues. jmo....dont paint to sell .( unless you are doing a full restoration on something vintage.....then document with pics)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Do not paint.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

im always leary of " dolled up" obs. paint can hide some serious issues. jmo....dont paint to sell .( unless you are doing a full restoration on something vintage.....then document with pics)
Ditto ...