Repower options

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer
It seems as though I am always looking at or for what is next. What are the available power options on the table for original designs or rebuilders?

A few things I've stumbled on:

ZF Marine offers full packages

Siemens PEM fuel cells (currently running in several types of submarines)

There are a variety of different joystick controls systems on the market and a host of fly-by-wire options

There are also several pod drives out there that could be viable retrofits.

I have some ideas for what a complete hybrid drive system might be. I just haven't seen one anywhere yet. I assume the cost would be ridiculous.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Repower options

hi bud.....

need more info on what you are re-powering.

it seems you are going to a totally different system.

on the hull thread....there are several different options we discussed all the way to jet engines.
a few electric motors are currently being tested.....including a 50 hp electric that spins stupid fast.
fuel cells/ plasma engines are still being experimented with however. test results are still a long way off, as the developers are keeping thier cards close to thier chest.

what are you building?

cheers
oops

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

There is a british company that has mounted 4 150hp DC pncake motors at each wheel of a mini and it is stupid fast.

I don't have a specific hull combo in mind. I know I'm going to go around 28' and originally wanted twins. I got to thinking about all the great old boat hulls sitting around and how to best refit them for today. I'm eventually going to do the great loop and wanted to put something together for that that was durable enough for the eastern seaboard and still economical to operate and trailerable.

I was going to start at the power/controls, then work my way out from there.

The PEM fuel cells have been in the subs since 06 and the data looks good at cruise. For surge power they still need lead acid though. Straight refits BTW. I think they were operating around 3kw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2BlPf106w8&feature=fvw not the same one it looks alot better than the mini.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

The problem I see with most pod systems is trailerability. If I went with one of the retractable versions it would be another leak point and I wouldn't want that.

Ideally, I would love something like the 1973 Stamas Americana with the flybridge and all.

http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx271/dbkerley/Projects/

I think I have a pic of one in here around page 2. There is also a Pursuit that I liked in there as well. I can only imagine what it would be like to be under power with the silence of sail.

BTW - there are some pics of my rework on the 19 a bit further in.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

This is what I had in mind at some point. Pardon the colors. My printer was really being uncooperative last night.

Attachments

• my boat.jpg
    my boat.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that looks great !

you said you were going to start at the controls and work back....

they type of motor you use will dictate the type of controls you use.

the first thing is to get the hull you want.....restore it...but leave the motor compartment alone, as you dont know if you will use a mid engine or aft type.

during the hull rebuild....you can keep your eyes open for the type of drive you want.

keep in mind....everything you do ....will require a totally new system....so you will have to fab everything....every bracket, mount...bell drive coupler...everything.

but we are right there with you

cheers
oops

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the compliment. I wi likely strip out a hull and then start fresh. I couldn't include alot of my ideas in the drawing because paint is very limiting. Ther are some feature that I didn't include purposely. Search for the yacht forty love and you'll see some of them.

Our lab had to be put down. But, the boxer still love the water and I hate climbing the transom. HINT

There are also alot of interesting hybrid drive options out there.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I cast a larger chunk of foam las night to start making a model. The drawings ar good. But, th model will really give me a better picture.