Repositioning Boat on Trailer Bunks

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 18 foot boat on a trailer with 2 bunks. The bunks stick out past the back of the boat and the boat ties down to connections on the end of these bunks. <br /><br />I need to do some work on the transom that requires the boat be moved back past the end of the bunks. Is there any easy way to move a boat back on the bunks. I assume I can pull it forward with the winch once I am done.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Repositioning Boat on Trailer Bunks

Someone else should verify this before you do it, but the eyes on the transom that your tiedowns are on are often used for towing/skiing/tubing and are very strong. Maybe you can use those to pull the boat back a little bit.<br /><br />Again, please get confirmation from someone who knows better than me before doing this!<br /><br />Good luck!

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the response. I actually have a rope attachment as well up higher on the transom so there are 3 transom mounted hooks available.

Elk Chaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've used a scissor jack to push the boat from the front and it worked fine.

salty87

Commander

is there a ramp nearby? can you get the hull wet? how far back? if you can and don't have to go too far back, i'd just back down the ramp and float her back a bit. tighten up the straps and take it easy on the way back home.

reference123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The nearest ramp is about 10 miles. I need to go back about 4 inches. If nothing else I may go to the ramp, float it back, and do the work in the parking lot. <br /><br />I was just hoping there was a way to do it in my drive.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have actually pulled my boat back on the trailer by attaching the boat to another truck and have someone watch. When I got done with the boat trailer work I just winched her back.<br /><br />Bob

datawire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would let out the amount of slack I needed to move the boat from the bow winch, then hook the stern tie-down cleats to a tree and pull forward very slow while watching the bow winch strap. Be certain you know where the center of gravity is before you disconnect from the tow vehicle or you could end up with a lot more damage.