Replacing Transom Wood

wildo2ne

Cadet
I have a 1957 Lonestar that I bought last weekend for $600, overall it is pretty ok shape, paint is good, it floats, and the engine runs.<br /><br />My problem is the wood on the transom is starting to go and I need to replace it. the engine is attached to a aluminum plate in the center, I have wood on the inside on both the right and left. I took a closer look today and saw that the only thing attached to the wood is the steering cable springs (1 on each side).<br /><br />My question is do I need to remove the engine to replace that wood or would I just be able to disconnect the cables, yank the wood, put the new wood in place, reattach and call it good?

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Replacing Transom Wood

You need to remove the motor, the entire transom should really be removed for the best strength. Use the red "Search" at the top of the page and search for transom repair. There is a lot of great information on this forum. It is best to do it right the first time, rather than try and piece something together that will give you lots of trouble in the near future. I would imagine the aluminum plate is was added to strengthen a rotting transom. Post some pics as soon as you get the chance.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats!!! You've come to the right place to get the information and guidance you need as you get into your project.

wildo2ne

Cadet
Re: Replacing Transom Wood

I will get pics up as soon as I can, but the way the boat is made there is no wood transom all the way across, just on the left and right side for the steering cables to screw into, it is a 1 piece aluminum transom with depressions for wood on the left and right inside of boat.