Replacing transom need help

fyrfightr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am replacing the transom in a 1993 Crestliner aluminum 19ft with an I/O.
I am wanting opinions on what to use to laminate the plywood together and then what to use to seal it. The current transom is out(fairly easy job), and is made of two 1/2in pieces of plywood and one smaller piece of 3/4in. It appears to just be stapled together without glue and no sealer...

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing transom need help

epoxy or poly with a peice of fiberglass matt between....

the same for sealing it......encapsulate the transom in glass

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I am in the process of doing just about the same thing.....see post from earlier today....
I am using Baltic Birch plywood $60- instead of marine plywood $140-
As OOPS suggested to me, I intend to encase it completely in glass and epoxy and since the baltic birch is 13 ply and all voids filled...it is cost effective and better quality than the marine ply.
Of course, if I was not using glass/epoxy, it would have to be the marine ply.
For even clamping pressure, I am going to use a few rows of s/s screws spaced about 12" apart.
Also, the Baltic birch is metric thickness which is just a hair less than the inch thickness....this allows a couple layers of glass without adding to the overall thickness.

fyrfightr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am thinking of using Everfix form Evercote.
I was thinking to coat the 2 mating halfs of the plys with the epoxy and then screw together. Do the same for the 3rd ply then let cure. I would then do a final test fit then sand all the edges. Then coat all sides and edges to seal.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Keep in mind that you got 15 years out of the original, and it had no glue, sealer, or screws.
Mine lasted darn near 50 years of summertime use kept under a roofed boathouse, and it was two layers of low quality plywood, no sealer, and not glued.
I think both of us will be light years ahead of where we were.