replacing tires

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a right and wrong way to jack up a trailer to change tires. I have a 17.5 Lund with a 90hp 4stroke and a 9.9 4stroke on the back, and want to put new tries on it. Can I raise the trailer with a jack under the axle or under the frame of the trailer. I've watched video's that say Never raise using axle, and other videos that say Only use the axle. another question, Should I have boat hooked to trailer, right now it's sitting in my yard, and I'd like to take both tires off, and take it to a tire shop and get new tires mounted. Thanks in advance.

briangcc

Commander
I'd jack by the axle...right where the u-bolts for the springs are. Nice and low, less likely to slip.

Depending on your trailer, you may find a standard jack doesn't go high enough if you try to jack by the frame. That will get tippy / more likely to slip off, in my opinion.

Does the tire shop have a large enough lot for you to bring the trailer by and them just do the work in the lot? I did that with the tandem trailer under the Four Winns since I needed (5) tires replaced - I do the spare at the same time as the main tires. Shop works on RV's so I had no concerns about space or their work. Simply spoke with them setting up the appointment and they asked I just leave the trailer hooked up so they could shuffle it as needed.

dwco5051

Commander
Usually I use a scissors jack as briangcc said right under the spring perch. If you only have one jack throw you spare on and leave the other side on the jack.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’ve always jacked on the axle right by the spring mount. However the axles I’ve used were fabricated out of 1/4” thick galvanized steel…not all are that strong…

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I always lift via the axle, like others have said, right by the spring mount. Use jack stands, block of wood, etc. and let sit like that while you swap out the rubber. Lifting by the axle, you only lift 1-2" off the ground. If you lifted the frame, it may take 6" before the tire made it off the ground.
You don't need to hook trailer to vehicle, just make sure the front is blocked up if it has a wheel on the jack. Common sense so it don't have tendency to roll away

dwco5051

Commander
Lifting by the axle, you only lift 1-2" off the ground. If you lifted the frame, it may take 6" before the tire made it off the ground.
It may be a lot more than 6" if the trailer has slipper springs.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I always jack on the axle. If you use the frame you have to go wayyyy high.

Also, I never liked the idea of replacing 2 tires at the same time. Then, you have to support the whole thing. One at a time to the tire shop is a hassle.

Then, I found the solution.

Find the tires you want and buy them online. If you buy them mounted with new wheels they give you mounting, balancing and new valve stems for free. Then subtract that cost vs. a tire shop. Only a few bucks more.

Easy peasy for all new. No hassle. Take the old tires /wheels and sell them on Craigslist. Now, the all brand new setup is cheaper than tires only.

The funny part is that if you post an ad for 4 year old tires they will knock your door down....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Wheels support hubs
Hubs support axel
Axles supports trailer
Trailer supports boat

Always jack the axel up under the spring

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
3 ton floor jack under (square) axle right behind the spring clamp.

airshot

Rear Admiral
When you hear bad things about jacking on the axle, there are folks that put a jack in the middle of the axle to lift both ends at the same time....this can easily bend an axle !! If you jack one side under the spring suport, you are fine, as it is one of the stronger points on the trailer suspension system. Never jack on an axle in the middle !!