Replacing Thru-Hulls Which Is Best Bronze ?

marylou

Cadet
Replacing all the thru hulls on fiberglass boat the old plastic ones were dried out basically fell apart when taking them out boat is out of the water so changing them is a great idea. i was wondering if bronze is the best i am willing to spend the extra money i want to do them once not every 3 years and which sealant to use 3m 4200 ???

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Replacing Thru-Hulls Which Is Best Bronze ?

The drains you want to replace can be replaced with brass drains http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Drains-T...9060085--session_id.296035522--view_id.217452 and you will need to use 3m5200 (permanent type) AND either make a tool or borrow one to roll a lip onto the other side. They come longer then needed then you cut, slather the outside of the tube with 3m5200 and basically it is crimped into place.

The plastic HDPE are uv resistant and can be installed the same way but do not require the crimp to roll the edge over.

How old are the old ones? Yes they do deteriorate over the years and the plastic (HDPE) are faster to install.

Since you are having problems what about the lower drain fitting? You could install a bronze garboard pug and fitting there and also use the 5200. http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Ac..._category.f--searched.1--session_id.296035522

While you are in the midst of replacing these drains........ inspect the exposed wood that they pass through for water infiltration and rot.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Above the water line stainless. Below the water line bronze.

Thru hulls are mechanically retained so all you need is a sealer. 4200 is more than adaqute for the job

marylou

Cadet

thank you , would the perko bronze chrome plated be ok to use i cant find any bronze in 1 inch ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

thank you , would the perko bronze chrome plated be ok to use i cant find any bronze in 1 inch ?
You can use the perko. I used them on my previous boat but I've seen the chrome peel over time. I put stainless in my current boat. Minimal cost increase over plated

Last edited:

marylou

Cadet

thank you , i was able to find stainless steel thru hulls and a tube of 3m 4200 the guy at the supply house tried to talk me into using 5200 but i didnt listen to him and i am going to use the 4200 for the ease of removal if i ever have to change them. the thru hulls came with a rubber gasket i guess the gasket makes for easier tightening of the nut if i ever have to adjust it . is it true that with out the gasket the 4200 will make it harder to turn the nut in the future

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

No gaskets with mine. I wouldn't use them anyhow. My fittings have a groove machined under the cap that you filled with a sealant. Fill the groove with sealant and install. As a precaution, I smeared 4200 on the threads where the nut seated to stop the nut from coming loose over time. More concerned about the nut vibrating loose than getting the nut loose in the future

Last edited: