replacing stringers and transom

harman79

Seaman Apprentice
Well I have been lurking here a while and decided to register. The site is great and has tons of info. I am in the process of redoing the transom and stringers on a old tri-hull. I seen the posts about having it on a cradle and of course mine is still on the trailer. I have the cap off but have read most of the problems are if it is on a roller trailer. My is on bunks and supported on rollers down the center. Do you think I will be ok with this setup? Also I wanted to know if most boat hulls are one piece when manufactured. I ask because when I pulled up my stringers they were not sitting down on the hull. They were up maybe a half inch and looks like the hull was pinched together. Can I go ahead and cut this area of and make it flush with the hull? I don't know if I cut it off and make it flush am I making the hull weak. I hope this makes sense. I'm sure I will have some more questions throughout my project. thanks

gjmsd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: replacing stringers and transom

I recently replaced the transom and stringer in my boat. I replaced the stringer with another wood one bu decided to try a transom pour instead of wood. Dug out the old wood with an electric chain saw, mixed my own pour of epoxy resin, micro-balloons and chopped glass. Turned out to be real easy and I'm happy with the finished project. Something worth considering.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well I have been lurking here a while and decided to register. The site is great and has tons of info. I am in the process of redoing the transom and stringers on a old tri-hull. I seen the posts about having it on a cradle and of course mine is still on the trailer. I have the cap off but have read most of the problems are if it is on a roller trailer. My is on bunks and supported on rollers down the center. Do you think I will be ok with this setup? Also I wanted to know if most boat hulls are one piece when manufactured. I ask because when I pulled up my stringers they were not sitting down on the hull. They were up maybe a half inch and looks like the hull was pinched together. Can I go ahead and cut this area of and make it flush with the hull? I don't know if I cut it off and make it flush am I making the hull weak. I hope this makes sense. I'm sure I will have some more questions throughout my project. thanks

Welcome to iBoats!

We really need pics of your project in order to give you sound advice on how to proceed. There's a link in my signature on how to post em.

WelcomeAboard.JPG

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yup.....we need pics....but on the trailer sounds fine but we do need the pics

harman79

Seaman Apprentice

DSCN1667.JPGDSCN1668.JPGDSCN1669.JPGDSCN1674.JPGDSCN1675.JPG Hope the pictures went through. The last three show how the stringer was sitting up off the hull. I cut some of it down and see a line in the hull. Do I need to cut this all off and make smooth or put my new stringer on top?