Replacing stator & timer base

droutte

Seaman Apprentice
I just received a new stator and timer base. A warning card states that the timing must be reset<br />after replacement.<br /> If I mark the parts and replace them in the <br />same position, should I still have timing checked?<br /> Also - I have never done this before - any good tips before I start ?<br />1989 Johnson 150 HP <br />Model #J150STLCEM<br /><br />Thanks<br />Dan

rboat99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Replacing stator & timer base

I didn't do the timer base, the hardest part about changing the stator is getting the flywheel off. With the right tools, this won't be hard either - but once its off replacing the stator is a breeze.<br /><br />For the flywheel removal you will need a large socket, the nut on mine was 1 7/16". You'll need it to be thin-walled so it will fit in the hole. I couldn't fine a thin-wall this size, but I found a metric that fit my needs and still fit the nut. If you have an air-compressor you can try to find an impact socket to fit it, I've heard it's easier this way.<br /><br />Also, go to harbor freight and pick up a large strap wrench. You can get one for around $10 there. If you don't have a torque wrench pick one of those up too, you need the one that goes over 150 ft. lbs of torque.<br /><br />Once you have the nut removed you will need a harmonic balancer puller (also available at harbor freight).<br /><br />Once you get started everything is pretty self-explanatory. Just re-post if you have problems.<br /><br />The stator removal/installation involves a few wires and 4 small bolts. Very easy.<br /><br />Sorry I couldn't answer your timing question.

crispi

Cadet

Originally posted by droutte:<br /> I just received a new stator and timer base. A warning card states that the timing must be reset<br />after replacement.<br /> If I mark the parts and replace them in the <br />same position, should I still have timing checked?<br /> Also - I have never done this before - any good tips before I start ?<br />1989 Johnson 150 HP <br />Model #J150STLCEM<br /><br />Thanks<br />Dan

crispi

Cadet

Sorry about that. Newbie fumbling I guess.<br /><br />Just wondering if you have a good source for Johnson parts? I need a timer base for a 1986 Johnson 70 and the dealer in my town says it will be nearly 6 weeks. <br /><br />I should probably add a warm jacket and the ice breaker attachment to my order for when the boat is back in the water.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Bob

droutte

Seaman Apprentice

Best place and best price for me has been<br />seilermarine.com. I got my stator & timer base in<br />three days.<br /><br />Dan<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by crispi:<br /> Sorry about that. Newbie fumbling I guess.<br /><br />Just wondering if you have a good source for Johnson parts? I need a timer base for a 1986 Johnson 70 and the dealer in my town says it will be nearly 6 weeks. <br /><br />I should probably add a warm jacket and the ice breaker attachment to my order for when the boat is back in the water.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Bob