Replacing stator and timer base

richardbrown67@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice
1980 70 hp J70ELCSA. If I replace the stator and timer base, can you tell me the procedure for getting the synchronizing / timing correct? Do I need special tools?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing stator and timer base

Simply replacing the stator and timer base will not affect the timing, don't be concerned about it.

No special tools are needed except foot pound torque wrench.

THe flywheel nut must be torqued to 105 foot pounds, otherwise the flywheel key will shear and throw the engine out of time.

richardbrown67@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, Joe.

When removing the flywheel, should I use an impact wrench?

What is the best way to hold the flywheel still for loosening/tightening the bolt?

Richard

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I advise against using an impact wrench... too easy to screw up something when using a high speed tool.

Use a mechnaic's tool called a spanner wrench. It is used to turn the flywheel of a any automobile when installing/removing a clutch pressure plate that has a manual shift transmission. Pictured below. One secton of the wrench needs to be heated and bent slightly to grab the flywheels of the 2 and 3 cylinder outboards... see the slight discoloration on mine below about hlfway between the stationary portion and the swing out portion's tip. (Hard to see I know).

Spanner-2.jpg