replacing oil seal on MR outdrive

Jason 641

Seaman
I pulled off my outdrive (1985 MR 260) and there is a little bit of oil in the bellow. What all should I replace? The u-joints look and feel good with no slop. Everything spins nice without any play, so I think the seal(s) are just going bad. Do I just need the Oil Seal? Or, should I get the Upper Unit Seal Kit (it includes the oil seal)? Will I need the carrier as well? Anything I am missing?

Are these the right part #s for what I need?

Seal Kit - MERCURY MARINE 26-32511A1
Carrier - Mercruiser 66081A2

Thanks in advance for any help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: replacing oil seal on MR outdrive

The carrier will probably not be bad, what normally happens is a groove gets worn in the yoke where the seal rides. In that case, replacement of the yoke is necessary.

Big Boat Bay Buster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem on my ALPHA drive. I was going to send the upper out to get re-sealed, but figured I mess with it first. I managed to get the big ring off without the special tool, and changed the seal for only a few dollars. Pressure test was good. Threw it back together and not had a problem since. I guess I got lucky-woun't recommend this though.

DON- Doesn't someone sell a double lip seal to address the problem of a worn grove in the Yoke?-just curious
Chris

Jason 641

Seaman

The carrier will probably not be bad, what normally happens is a groove gets worn in the yoke where the seal rides. In that case, replacement of the yoke is necessary.

I have read that tapping in the seal slightly further will work because it will ride in a new spot on the yoke. Do you recommend this?

So should I just buy the seal? or should I get the seal kit? If I get the seal kit I will have to basically take everything apart to replace the seals, will this lead to other things needing to be changed?

ziggy

Admiral

I have read that tapping in the seal slightly further will work because it will ride in a new spot on the yoke. Do you recommend this?
i've read from others that this is something that can be done. however. the service manual for my 1 drive states... " 4. inspect shaft (between yoke and splines) on gear end and universal joint for groove were oil seal rides. if shaft is grooved, install NEW oil seal and NEW yoke on universal joint"... i'd think the mr version would be a similar statement...

i had a groove on my yoke and went with mercruisers statement. replaced both yoke and oil seal. that worked really good. so i personally don't know about the other idea. myself, i tend to believe the mercruiser service manual as for the proper repair.....

as for this statement...
Threw it back together and not had a problem since. I guess I got lucky-woun't recommend this though.
i'd be waiting for it to cause further problems as it don't sound like you used rolling torque to set the gear end nut, nor used a torque wrench to properly torque the carrier nut to the drive. it's 200 ft lbs.... lucky would be a real stretch of the word i'd think. glad it's working for you though.... following the service manual is the only way you can assure yourself that you've done a good job. and even then, for us shade tree types. it's still questionable as hard as we try...

Jason 641

Seaman

Thanks for the replies, I went ahead and ordered the seal kit, but I held off on the Yoke. I ordered the bearing retainer wrench the other day so it should be here by tomorrow. I will pull it apart as soon as I have that wrench and if the Yoke is bad I will get another one.

rojoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just curious, but how did you get the nut off without the tool and how did the gear and bearing come off? thanks, Neil