Replacing my "1970's" steering set-up

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class
motor_1923_657448.JPG
<br /><br />I have ordered the arm off ebay<br /><br />
92_1_b.JPG
<br /><br />What else do I need to make this work, I dont see how im going to screw the steering cable to the mount once i send it thru and hook up the arm?<br />HUmm

chicken louie

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Replacing my "1970's" steering set-up

the straight end goes to a bracket in front of the motor and your steering cable goes through the front of your motor through a sleave and hooks to the curved end.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

From what I can make out in the photo, it looks like the system you now have hooked to the engine is the old style that that had the steering tube clamped in a pivot bracket bolted to the transom. I say this because the tilt tube steering has a large anchor nut that screws the steering tube to the tilt tube of the engine. That drag link in the photo is used with tilt tube steering. Can you give us another photo of the whole steering system at the rear of the boat.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, it looks like i lose the silver sleeve on the cable, the one with the black end, then take that nut and screw it onto the motor??

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Am I on the right track? <br /><br />
motor1.jpg

D

DJ

You have the tilt tube, on the engine, that is good. You have the link arm, also good.<br /><br />Now, I hate to say this but you are going to need a new steering cable.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

EEKK!.. Humm that silver nut next to the black bracket looks like it will fit on the motor one..<br /><br />Dang, not worth putting in a whole new cable.. Im gunna have to see if that works.. Cuz the silver sleeve will then come off and it looks like ill have the right amount to send thru the motor .. that nut will stay on the the cable.<br /><br /> I just dont want to break anything..<br /><br />
motor.jpg

D

DJ

Your theory is correct. However, I think you will find that the cable is not long enough.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, wishfull thinking on my part.. I'll give it a try and let yu know. <br /><br />Thanks DJ

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

AHHH,, you mean the whole cable in general.., getting it there. right

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea I'll have to think about that if it's too short. she does steer, but with alot of play.

D

DJ

It's probably time for a new system.<br /><br />In the meantime, check to see that the nut that holds the cable into the helm is tight.

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't mean to hijack his thread, but is their any advantages to changing to the piviot tube type of steering arm???<br />I have the same setup, with a cable bracket on the transome, and my engine also has the piviot tube.

D

DJ

IMHO, yes. The connection to the engine itself is beefier.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just looked under the console and I have more than enough cable to pull it so that nut reaches the motor. I'll wait till the arm comes in.<br /><br />Did notice this weekedend that I do have about 6 inches of wheel play before she reacts in the other direction, and it is from the slop in the bracket in the back.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

When you get that steering hooked up thru the pivot tube and connected correctly it's gonna be solid...just like you wants it to be...just a thought :)

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup! thats what im shooting for, my last boat had it and steered tighter.

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cant get that silver sleeve off. tried everything. not sure if it will come off .. dang

G DANE

Commander

Try a little heatgun, but carefull