Replacing damaged engine

Hustler04

Cadet
I need help!!!!!!!!!!!! My original boat has a mercrusier 140 4 cyl, prior to saving this boat from the trash heap the previous owner had not properly winterized her, that resulted in a cracked block. I have recently obtained a donor boat with a mercrusier 170 4cyl. The question is now do I have to replace to replace the gears in the out drive????????

Hustler04

Cadet
Re: Replacing damaged engine

what do you mean 470, It just has 170 on the valve cover

thumpar

Admiral

It may not be a "470" but it is the same engine. The outdrive ratio would be wrong. It would take a lot of work to get that swap done and you end up with a boat that only a small group of people like and know how to work on. Try to find another 140.

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yeah the 170 (470/170/488/190 3.7 engine family) isn't a great motor to replace a 140 with.

I would find another 3.0 liter or swap a 4.3 v6, I wouldn't mess with a 170, they haven't produced that engine for over 20 years and it has its fair share of oddities and issues.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I need help!!!!!!!!!!!! My original boat has a mercrusier 140 4 cyl, prior to saving this boat from the trash heap the previous owner had not properly winterized her, that resulted in a cracked block. I have recently obtained a donor boat with a mercrusier 170 4cyl. The question is now do I have to replace to replace the gears in the out drive????????

That 3.7L 4cyl engine (if it is in good running condx) is still a fairly valuable engine (as is the drive) to the people that have them.

I would part that boat out and buy a 3.0L long block engine for your boat. (if you have a cracked block, the core charge will be higher though)

Hustler04

Cadet

It may not be a "470" but it is the same engine. The outdrive ratio would be wrong. It would take a lot of work to get that swap done and you end up with a boat that only a small group of people like and know how to work on. Try to find another 140.
I have the entire set up the motor has been recently rebuilt, outdrive was gone through, the only problem with the outdrive is the bottom fin is bent. I have the same generation outdrive on my boat now. I can swap the gears. just didn't know if i would have too. I don't have the means to part this boat out or buy a new engine. I acquired this boat for free after a tree fell on the boat while the guy was in the process of restoring it.

thumpar

Admiral

If you really want to do the swap you could use the upper off the 470 drive and lower off of yours to make the ratio correct. Just be warned that you are going to be doing a lot of work to switch to an outdated motor with lots of quirks to it. In the end I think it may cost you more than just finding another 140.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Yeah I am part of that small group. Should be an easy swap. If you have a complete 470 it should not be a really big problem. You would have to use the upper off of the new engine, like you said, and heck if it is just a bent fin use the whole outdrive. If the vintage is similar the rear motor mounts should be OK and attaching the front (single) 470 mount should not be too hard. Some may disagree but that motor should make a great swap. If it is newly rebuilt it should be fine. My vote is go for it. Good luck.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If both engine packages are pre 1982, or both are post 1982, then you don't even need to pull the transom plates off.... Just swap the engines, and the drive-shaft housing (upper) and you're good to go. If the 140 is very early, like pre 1976, then change everything anyway.... You'll need to do some minor transom work, nothing too difficult...

If one is pre '82 and the other is post '82... Ya gotta swap the lot....

Chris......