Replacing Curved Plexiglass In Windshield

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Guys,

Trying to see if I can change the curved plexiglass on the sides of my boat because it's starting to have surface cracks and just looks bad.. The only thing is I have no idea how to take it out/put in lol. Does anyone have an idea how to do this? There's some pictures attached to see what it looks like.

Attachments

• photo310870.jpg
    photo310870.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo310871.jpg
    photo310871.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Start by taking out the screws in the frame until the top of the W/S comes off. Pull the plexi up and out. A meal of Wheaties and spinach may help.

harringtondav

Commander
You can make your own replacement windshield out of Lexan Polycarb. I did this for my pals boat. Once you get the old windshield removed you make a paper pattern. Get a roll of craft paper or plotter paper wide enough for the height of the windshield. Lay the windshield face down on the paper and tape the paper from the inside of the windshield as you're rolling the windshield to get contact with the paper around the curves. Trace the edges of the windshield with a pencil, remove the tape and cut your pattern.

Regal Plastics, US Plastics or other plastic distributors will sell a sheet of plastic in the thickness and a close tint to what you have. Tape your pattern to the plastic sheet, keeping the protective adhesive paper on the sheet. Trace your pattern with a Sharpie and straight edge on the straight edges. Use a hand held jig/scroll saw to cut the windshield. Again, use a straight edge guide for the straight edges. You shouldn't need to sand the cut edges because you windshield is mounted in a rubber molding.

It looks like the top windshield frame is attached to the side posts under that capped retaining strip that goes on the outside of the posts. It will come apart. The factory had to put it together somehow. Installing the new windshield will take at least three sets of hands. Polycarb is tough stuff and can handle your bends, but it will take some persuasion. Use glycerine or dish soap to lube the molding, and start at one end with the end of the plastic set into the side post molding and reattach the retention strip. Bend and force it into the bottom molding around to the other side post and attach that retainer.. The top of the windshield should be close to the top frame's curve so should go in easier. Looks like you'll have to slide the end of the top frame under the retaining cap. Bring plenty of beer and take a lot of breaks.

PS: If the front windshield doesn't kill you, and if you place your cut out to maximize the fall off, you may have enough plastic left to replace your side shields. You will have to purchase a large plastic sheet to fit the windshield.

Last edited: