Replacing a Stator, 1988 Johnson

myboatsucks

Recruit
I need to replace a stator on a 1988 Johnson 150 outboard. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the process. Can it be done easily with the aid of a manual, or do you suggest going to a qualified repair shop?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Replacing a Stator, 1988 Johnson

Get a shop manual, see what's involved, then decide whether you want to do it yourself. Pulling the flywheel is usually the biggest part of the job.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Replacing a Stator, 1988 Johnson

I just replaced mine. 1985 120hp Evinrude, find a socket that fits the flywheel, AND fits inside the counterbore of it...... My only problem was holding the flywheel, made up a bar with a couple of pins in it for installation. A couple of small sockets and a tire iron held it to get it undone. Shop suggested a screwdriver between the starter and........ I don't think so. The manual suggests a strap wrench but I couldn't find one. You can order a "flywheel holder" I guess but I needed it ASAp so this was not an option. Once the flywheels off it's just 4 screws and 4 wires. Use locktite and small torque wrench to install. Go for it.....