Replacing 9.9 shift rod seal

Old outboard dude

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 81 9.9 hp that I have determined oil is leaking of the shift rod seal. I am wondering how to replace it, hopefully without damaging anything, and also I need to know what to buy for it, or exactly what parts need to be replaced. thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There are three pieces to replace your shift rod seal.

An "O" ring P/N 0301877,
A bushing P/N 0304765
And a washer/seal P/N 0321738.

All those will need to be replace to seal off properly. And you can probably buy them here on iboats part section probably cheaper then most anywhere else as well.

Of course you will need to drop the foot section to get to those parts and remove them to replace. It would be a great time to replace the water impeller/pump at the same time and change the foot oil as well. JMHO

racerone

Supreme Mariner
!/4" threaded rod and a nut on the inside.----Grind hex off the nut.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not a mechanic but I've done two of the bushings. So this is just how I did it,

gm280 has listed the parts you will need and you may want to buy a complete gear case seal kit in case you need anything else. You will need to disassemble the gear case to get access to remove the bushing and seal. You will not be threading the bushing but putting the long 1/4" threaded rod down through the bushing into the gear case. Then you will thread the ground off nut onto the threaded rod inside the case. You grind the edges off the nut so that it is slightly smaller than the diameter of the bushing so it will pull the bushing out. Build a makeshift slide hammer to fit the 1/4" rod and pull the bushing out. Or fit a piece of plate across the top of the housing and assemble with another nut to pull the bushing out. Take care not to damage the case. When I did mine I ended up using some heat on the case and it finally let loose. Required a repaint after that.Be careful installing the bushing as it can be damaged and then the shift rod won't fit properly. Also check the shift rod for wear in the area that goes through the bushing. It should have a close fit to support the rod. I believe assembly of the lower unit also requires a special tool to assemble the shift fork. I think its called a yoke locator. I made one to do mine.

Not a complicated job and it is probably outlined in the service manual. It is in the 76 manual.
If you don't fell comfortable taking it apart, pay a shop to do it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The " yoke locater " is NOT NEEDED at all-----I turn the unit upside down an gravity put the pieces in the right place every time !!!!

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The " yoke locater " is NOT NEEDED at all-----I turn the unit upside down an gravity put the pieces in the right place every time !!!!

Tricks of the trade! Thanks for sharing that piece of info. I'm sure many will find it useful.