Replacement prop advise

HCMQA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all and thanks in advance for any advice given.

First boat so be gentle.

1987 Dyanasty Magnum 19' Bowrider with a very well kept OMC 4.3 Cobra I believe it is a 175 HP

Prop is a MW 14.5 x 19. It is old and worn and lightly tapped a rock the other day and chipped a blade.

I do not want to really change any performance right now. I am just looking for a stock replacement.

What I am asking is what prop manufacturer would be best for this drive set up?

BRP, SOLAS, ETC.??

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacement prop advise

Thats almost like asking what is the best car,motor,tire,etc.
A lot of opinions.
That said the Solas Amita props are reasonable and seem to be predictable
and usually do well.There are plenty of others that are effective as well.

HCMQA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I know it is a pretty broad question.

However, after reading 100's of posts on the matter I was hoping for a consensus on a manufacturer for an OEM/Cobra replacement.

It seems that 99% of the posts on here are to solve a problem or change the performance of the boat. I am looking for neither. Additionally, it seams a lot of posters have bought different brands of props and have been disappointed even though they bought the same size/spec. So I am trying to avoid that.

I have a MW 14.5 x 19 p/n 391201. I am happy with the boats performance. The prop was chipped and is old and needs to be replaced.

I would like to maintain the current performance so I am asking you prop pro's what brand you think is best/good/ok/preferable/etc. for a simple aluminum replacement. Maybe in a year or so I might play around with different props.

Boat specs again:

1987 Dyansty Magnum 19' Bow rider
4.3L OMC Cobra with a whale tail XL attached.

NHGuy

Captain

Well, were you getting 4200 to 4600 rpm at wide open? In that case get another MW 19. Otherwise fill out the questionnaire and you'll see input. I'd say lose the whale tail.
BTW I have aluminum 19 and 23 Michigans, each has it's place.

On edit: Hagerstown, I used to live there back in the 80's. I had a short stint as Food & Bev Manager at a national lodging chain on the main drag there. That was a good town, nice folks.

HCMQA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah it's not a bad town. I am not from here but I have been here about 9 years.

The boat came with the whale tail. Not sure what it is supposed to do. I see a ton of boats with these types of attachments on them.

The tach seems to be in good working order and I didn't have that much room on the river to really get her going but on short WOT runs it was right in that range.

Well I ordered a Hustler for now it seems everyone likes them.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The whale tail should improve hole shot and in certain conditions improve handling.
There are better choices active or passive trim tabs like Smart Tabs are better
smart tabs will improve hole shot,stay on plane with less throttle.improve handling and reduce no wake speed wander.A 4 blade prop will have a similar effect
with more precise handling at speed and around the dock.