Replacement leg for a 1958 Mark 58E

Doug Redinger

Seaman
I recently acquired an old flat bottom jon boat with an old Mercury Mark 58E ( 1958 model) with a San Leandro jet (outboard Jets) jet drive attached to it. After some cleaning and servicing of the powerhead it fired right up! I serviced and painted the jet drive which seems to be in really good condition! My dilema is that I would like to find a regular lower unit that I can swap out from time to time depending on wether I want to fish the rivers or lakes. What options do I have for fitment. I realize that an original Mark 58 leg should fit, but what else. I seem to remember that some of the leg mounting studs were different sizes on like the Mark 55. Will a Merc 400 leg work? How about the later style Merc 500 through prop exhaust legs? Will they bolt up to my Mark 58E Mid-section? I know there are tons of old Merc guys on this site with tons of experience!! I Have used this wealth of experience and knowledge before!!! Thanks in advance to all !!

Doug

Doug Redinger

Seaman
Re: Replacement leg for a 1958 Mark 58E

Anyone??? I am still hoping to get some information from you old time merc guys!!

Laddies

Banned

Most 55-55E-58-55A-350 and 400 4cyls interchange just make sure the base gasket is the same

mc66

Seaman

check out new jersey craigs list there is a guy that has about 30 or so motors all very old like yours for 150 bucks each looks like well kept stuff maybe just buy a couple of motors and do what you want switch up swap out what ever your pleasure i know your not close its worth looking

Mi duckdown

Commander

Is your BOAT Transom a, 20 inch. or short, 15 inch ? guessing 20 inch.
Just run the jet. .02

Doug Redinger

Seaman

The boat is a 15" transom that has been modified to 20" height. Mi duckdown you are right!!! I should just run it and be happy!! :) I just thought it would be fun to see what the old motor would do with a lightweight flat bottom boat and a standard lower unit!! I would guess 30-32 mph running a 12" pitch prop. Most of my fishing is in lakes although there are some great trout rivers in my future. Bighorn, madison, kootenai, yellowstone!! Yippee!!! spring is near!!

Mi duckdown

Commander

Doug don't over think SH?T Run that motor like as if you stole it.
I run a 25/20 2003 jet on Saginaw Bay/ MI. Duckhunting. Shallow water.
The odds of you getting a long shaft lower unit is pretty slim. to None