Replacement Drums

BlowHo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My trailer has 10" drum brakes that need to be replaced. Will any 10" drum do the trick or is there a specific type for boats.

The trailer is made by V/M custom boat trailers and the drums I pulled off are from UFP. I checked their site and others and their drums are double what I would pay for a set of car drums. Any input would be great.

Thanks

BlowHo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Replacement Drums

I'm aware, hence the lack of a motor, seats and a steering wheel.

With that said, why do they need special drums?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

They aren't special except that there hasn't been a vehicle with front drum brakes since the early 60's that would fit your boat trailer.

They are pretty cheap...you just have to know where to buy them...like the place tashadaddy said to.

What part numbers are your inner and outer bearings and what is the width of the shoes?

Bondo

Staff member

With that said, why do they need special drums?

It's Not that they're Special,............

It's What Fits...............

BlowHo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay.

I cannot find the drums on my trailer anywhere locally, however I can find them from other manufacturers. Can I put any 10" trailer drum on, or would I also have to switch out backing plate and so forth?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to get a drum that matches your axle size. that is why I asked in the previous question about your bearing part numbers. I believe the 10" drums all are the same width but you need to check that.

Call Champion Trailers. They are very knowledgable and can proably help you out.