Replacement dash panels

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Yesterday, while working on my 1998 Wellcraft 2000 SS (Installing the new shifter and cables), the dash panel that holds the rocker switches for the bilge/lights,etc disintegrated and fell into the helm area. Looks horrible and I doubt I'll be able to find a factory replacement.

What other options are there? I'm not a good enough fabricator to cut something out of aluminum and bend it to fit. Suggestions on what to do to fix the entire panel? Looks like it was wood looking plastic originally.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
My switch panel was missing switches and ingeneral bad condition, so i replaced the whole thing. Had to move it to fit ( could not find one that was the same size). So thats one option, new panel.
Another would be a machine shop to fabricate a new one. I would be concerned obout thw switch condition, if the panel fell apart.
Can you make one out of plexiglass? A photo would help showing the shape and curve.

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got lucky and found my entire dash set on ebay. If you post some pics maybe we can offer better suggestions.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there are NOS resellers on ebay such as great lakes skipper, marine surplus, etc. I would personally give Marine surplus a call in Sarasota Florida since they were 2 blocks from the old Welcraft plant and carry a lot of old stock from Chris Craft, Welcraft, etc.

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys. I had already checked out great lakes skipper and fpnmetals and struck out. I'll check with marine surplus. The problem is that there are 3 pieces and they are fairly thin and pretty small, but I imagine the places will want at least a couple hundred bucks for the panels and I just don't want to spend that much for about 10 bucks of plastic.

slag

Chief Petty Officer
I found where I can purchase 3/32 pieces of ABS plastic that match my panel exactly. I'll use the old pieces as a template and think I can cut out the holes for the switches ok. Should cost me around $80.00 for all parts needed for my panels. I've requested a couple samples to make sure of the burl wood color, but think this will be doable. Will find out...

slag

Chief Petty Officer
My switch panel was missing switches and ingeneral bad condition, so i replaced the whole thing. Had to move it to fit ( could not find one that was the same size). So thats one option, new panel.
Another would be a machine shop to fabricate a new one. I would be concerned obout thw switch condition, if the panel fell apart.
Can you make one out of plexiglass? A photo would help showing the shape and curve.

Boat is back in storage and covered right now but I might be able to make it back out soon and take a photo so you can see what panels I have and what condition the one is in.