replaced water pump & lost forward/reverse

Leonard281

Recruit
Have a 90hp force, I replaced the water pump on. The water pump is working fine but now the motor won't go into forward or reverse? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: replaced water pump & lost forward/reverse

If it is older, before 94, Did you remember to re-attach the shift rod? If you did, did the cotter break and did the pin fall out?

If it is newer than 94 with the Merc lower unit, did you drop the splined shift rod coupler and not realize it?

Leonard281

Recruit

Thanks for your reply. The coupler is there, for sure. Just found out forward and reverse work but they are opposite now. Any idea on why?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Is this the newer Merc designed lower unit? If so, I suspect the shaft is rotated 180 degrees. (I don't remember exactly and am not sure it is even possible, I only worked on two late model Force engines.) When you reassemble the lower unit to the midleg, you must first be certain that the control is in neutral. Then, rotate the shift shaft in the lower unit until it detents in neutral. Move it and turn the prop. Do this until you find neutral (prop will spin free for more than 1/2 turn) Now, re-attach the lower unit making sure that the splines in the upper shaft match the coupler and splines in the lower shaft. Now, you should be OK.

Note that I am guessing here because you have still not given the year of the engine. I'm good, but not a mind reader.