replaced rectifier and it still is not charging.

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: replaced rectifier and it still is not charging.

These are the colors I show a ground to when the big red plug is diconnected but battery is still connected:

Black = Grnd
Grey = Tach
Red/Yellow = Start/Power Pack
Pu/Wh = Primer Solenoid
Sometimes Blk/Yellow (one second it will show ground and then it wont, without doing anything)

Attached is a color diagram of my wiring harness. My question is, is it normal for all or some of these to be showing ground under these conditions?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 1988_89_120_140 with grnd.jpg
    1988_89_120_140 with grnd.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

The Blk/Ylw should be the kill switch. If it is showing ground unhook it and leave unhooked until it is running right. Just kill it with the choke. Don't know how it might effect charging but if it is getting ground on and off that could be your miss.

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Blk/Ylw should be the kill switch. If it is showing ground unhook it and leave unhooked until it is running right. Just kill it with the choke. Don't know how it might effect charging but if it is getting ground on and off that could be your miss.

I have already done that, it did not make any difference to the way the engine runs.

Should all these terminals be showing ground when the big plug is disconnected, or should I just go ahead and replace the harness?

Thanks again!

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

This just a guess but at this point it's all that's left to do.

If your blowing rectifiers when you put them on you have a positive short to ground. Just like hooking up battery backwards. I wouldn't think that the red/yel wire should be grounded. I would unhook that wire from the solenoid and recheck. I think somewhere in your wiring harness there is a short. And I think the only solution is replacement or trace everywire and check it, or start isolating compenents (key switch, primer, solenoid ect) as one of them may be shorting the system.

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agree with replace the harness. Get back to a know good component starting point. On my '81 90hp, the yellow/red goes to the neutral safety switch. Should not be grounded normally. The grey wire is the tach signal from the stator and should absolutely NOT be grounded. I'm pretty sure, someone correct me if I'm wrong. If this wire is grounding, that's what's killing your rectifiers.

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree with replace the harness. Get back to a know good component starting point. On my '81 90hp, the yellow/red goes to the neutral safety switch. Should not be grounded normally. The grey wire is the tach signal from the stator and should absolutely NOT be grounded. I'm pretty sure, someone correct me if I'm wrong. If this wire is grounding, that's what's killing your rectifiers.

The red plug is disconnected, I thought the neutral switch was in the controller, so if that is disconnected what is causing the reading I am getting?

If the stator is showing ground, does that mean I will need another new one, I assume by saying "Replace the harness" you think the short(s) are in the harness not the components themselves. does this mean I will need to replace all the components or just the rectifier.

Would/could this be the cause of my mysterious mis?

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just ordered a new harness, it should be here within a few days, although I am not sure when I will be able to install, could be a week or two.

Thanks again!

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A short would absolutely cause a miss. Also kill your rectifiers again and again. Don't know if your stator is bad, you said it's new so it shouldn't be bad but if you have corroded/grounding wires in the harness, this will keep happening. I don't want to tell you to go buy a bunch of stuff that maybe won't solve your problem because it's really just process of elimination suggestions I'm making based on what you've reported you've done so far. And I'm not a certified marine mechanic, either. I am a certified electrician, however.

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will update when I finally get the harness installed, I am not sure when that will be. I have to admit, I am not very optimistic that this will solve the problem, but that may be because nothing else has, but I am hoping it will be the fix. At least it's only a $150 part and not $300 like the timer base.

Thanks again for everyones help, I hope we are nearing the finish line!!

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definitely keep us posted...

daselbee

Commander

OK Mr Pokertrampp.....the rubber is gonna hit the road...
This is way beyond control at this point.

So, you name the place and time, I will be there with my tools and we will get this engine fixed together. I will drive to your location, and when we get it fixed, I will post what the problem was. PM me with your response. I have plenty of time......any day is good for me.

Your harness is not bad, by the way. (My opinion.)

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I would take that offer if I were you. I to do not believe the harness is bad. There may be an individual wire or component causing a short but I have never seen an entire harness go. And if it does it's usually the exposed ends that can be repaired. If there is not any obvious rotting corrosion, pinching, cuts then I would say something is shorted somewhere. If there is the above situation then you threw a lot of parts at an obvious problem that may have been fixed a long time ago.

234rick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK Mr Pokertrampp.....the rubber is gonna hit the road...
This is way beyond control at this point.

So, you name the place and time, I will be there with my tools and we will get this engine fixed together. I will drive to your location, and when we get it fixed, I will post what the problem was. PM me with your response. I have plenty of time......any day is good for me.

Your harness is not bad, by the way. (My opinion.)

Don't leave everyone hanglng Das, just let us know if he PM'ed you back & set up a time.

daselbee

Commander

Don't leave everyone hanglng Das, just let us know if he PM'ed you back & set up a time.

Nope, not yet....I will post for sure.

Here is the issue. He says he has multiple shorts to ground in his harness. He calls out the purple/white primer solenoid line, and the yellow/red starter solenoid line.....but those lines have a very low resistance path to ground anyway!!!!! They look like shorts to the inexperienced meter man.

Two ohms would about do it...so I think he is (with inexperience) calling them the same as a "short to ground". The Grey tach line...he just MIGHT read infinite resistance to ground if he reverses the leads. This is definitely just a bit of inexperience here....

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

Ive been watching this post for awhile and with all the test that have been done I dont think the harness is bad either. If he is for real I think his battery is bad and needs his carb cleaned.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

This is for Daselbee:

I'm curious at this point what would be your best guess as to the problem? Don't take this the wrong way, the curiosity is just killing me here as to what is wrong (as said this should have been solved days ago with proper troubleshooting) and you seem very knowledgeble.

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Daselbee, check your pm.

you threw a lot of parts at an obvious problem that may have been fixed a long time ago.

This would not surprise me if it were the case, in fact I expect it is.

I think his battery is bad and needs his carb cleaned.

Battery has been replace, and carbs have been rebuilt 3 times.

I expect the problem is something that someone with experience would have spotted in a few seconds of working on it.

There was a problem with the transaction when I ordered the harness, so I canceled the order since everyone seems to agree it is not bad.

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is the condition of the battery cables from the engine all the way back to the battery? green? bubbled anywhere along the coating? voltage drop from engine to battery?
could be overlaoding R/R

is there any corrosion within the cable itself?

im thinking back to basics here

daselbee

Commander

Lion Hunter:

To be honest, I don't know what is going on here. I have to get into it personally, do my own measurements and tests. I personally have lost track of everything that has been done.
I have DVA, a Stevens breakout box, and a high amperage ammeter. I believe with just a few quick measurements....it will be clear. I hope so.

I will say this: I think the replacement reg/rect blew soon after he installed it, I think his inexperience with meters is misleading him, and I think it is very unfortunate that all these parts have been changed/shotgunned.

He will have some good spares at the end of all this.

You know, one other thing.....Anyone reading this complete post will certainly know how to debug the charging system on these outboards. It is all here.

Lastly, looks like I am staying home. He declined my offer, citing the issue with his wife in the hospital, but he left it open for possible future assistance.

Shoot!!! And I was wanting to use this as an excuse to get to the Keys....

rjrobin2002

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This has been an educationsal post. I used it to learn the ignition/charging system of my 89 40 hp johnson and used the stator and rectifier test to test mine. I had low voltage in my test and found a complete timing/stator/ignition module on ebay and installed it today. It fixed my problem. Dont really know what was wrong with mine, but I was having low charging volts and getting a weak spark at the same time. Very educational thread, thanks guys.