Replaced power pack/ Is my Stator bad?

evinrude bayliner

Seaman Apprentice
Ok i have a mid 70s model starflight 85hp evinrude outboard. I have rebuilt the carbs, resealed the lower unit, had the timing set and have replaced the powerpack. The guy who works on my engine detemined last week that i had a bad powerpack. The motor was firing on 1 cylinder. I replaced the power pack this morning and the engine now fires up and idles perfectly. I took the boat out to the lake today and got up to full throttle for about 2 min. The engine begun to bog down a couple seconds then went back to full throttle for about 10 min. We then cut the motor off and enjoyed the lake for a while. Beutiful day down here today 75 degrees all sunshine. We started up the boat again and preceeded to go full throttle again and the boat began to bog down to about 1/2 throttle. I tried pumping the primer bulb to see if I had a feul delivery problem. The bulb was tight and the motor did not respond to me trying to pump the bulb. I was told by the guy who works on my boat that the stator coul be going bad when it gets hot or that I may have fould theplugs when I tried to run with the bad powerpack last season. He told me to try changing the plugs and gas and see if that helps. He would check the stator for me next week. We had the flywheel off last week and the stator looks like it has been replaced not long ago. It is definitly not the original. Can someone give me a few pointers on this problem?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replaced power pack/ Is my Stator bad?

there are 6 pages of test here, find your motor.
"http://www.boatpartstore.com/page28.asp"

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

When you say mid 70's 85, I take for granted, not a early 70's with battery CD, as you have some spark. What you would then have is a magneto CD. On this system you start top to bottom. Ignition sensor to pulse pak, pak to igniton coil, coil to plug. The best way to check is with a peak reading volt meter. Do you have a service manual to lead you thru the step's?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Make sure that you are not overheating.

The grounding strap from the rack with the ignition coils that runs to the starboard cylinder head must be in good shape.

The V4 motors have a history of ignition system wiring corrosion on the engine wiring, probably due in part to the lack of anodes, but nevertheless needing occasional attention. The best method is to take each wire loose, clean thoroughly and replace.

For every ignition component that fails, there is a logical reason. For instance, bad ignition coils or even bad grounding on the coil can kill the powerpack. A tiny bit of voltage on the black and yellow kill wire due to a failing ignition switch can kill a powerpack.

The point is that replacing expensive components without knowing why they failed is unwise and almost guaranteed in replacing them again.

evinrude bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

When I put the power pack on today none of the wires looked corroded or frayed. All the terminals were clean. I hope i have not burned up the new powerpack again. Is there a chance that could of happened? What are the signs of a bad stator?

bluebrownie

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 1972 johnson 50 hp would start right up...drive down the lake about 10 minutes and it would run smoothly and suddenly conk out...wait a bit,... start up again.. ride for 10 min...conk out... took cowling off... wouldn't conk out...
at home, took blow dryer, heated up the stator... motor would conk out... after it cooled, ran fine, till it heated up... i am replacing the stator next week. i had previously changed the recitfier and powerpack... yours sounds a bit more like carb...but what do i know...

evinrude bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

The carbs have just been rebuilt. Also the motor is not overheating. How hard is it to replace a stator?

B&FHomesteadRob

Recruit

Stator is not too hard, have to pull the flywheel which you will need a flywheel puller EV/JO part # 0378103 - $80 or so. When it comes off keep an eye on the key on the shaft, dont loose it. There should be 4 bolts holding the stator down, remove them, disconnect the wires and it's out. Most frustration is getting the flywheel off.

evinrude bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

After rechecking the motor this morning i found a ground wire from the cylinder 2 coil pack that came off when the bolt came loose. Could this have caused me to loose that much power? I checked the spark plugs and they all they all had tan deposits on them except for cylinder 2 witch was not firing apparently.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Sounds like you found your problem. I went through similar problems with my 1972 Johnson 65hp and found that these problems tend to occur together on the older motors. I ended up replacing all of the coils, the powerpack and the timer base. Although my stator is working fine now, I will replace it soon just to finish the ignition system rebuild.

evinrude bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

Well that seemed to fix my problem. I took the boat back out today and it ran great. Thanks for your input guys.