Repairing brake system on trailer

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Repairing brake system on trailer

Should I get a reverse solenoid valve as well?

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You will probably need it. I put it in but I didnt hook it up because the wire wasnt long enough. The first time I tried to back up the brakes locked up and I had to get a patch wire to get it released. The next day I made sure to fix the wiring to make it work correctly.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh and the kit I installed came with the solenoid.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yea it really sucks. That kit comes with everything but no one here seems to like it :(

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I knew nobody liked it, but like I said, money was a bit tight at the time and it came with absolutely everything I would need. Like I said, I figured I could upgrade the bits that go bad later. It has been 7 months or so and probably 500 miles and probably 50 drops in the water and absolutely no problems so far.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I also looked at a bunch of reviews for Tie-Down on Amazon and not a single bad review...Everyone has their own experiences with products.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So here's what I have come up with:

Actuator:

I can either get the Tie-Down Actuator or the Titan Actuator

http://www.iboats.com/Actuator-Model-660-Disc-Brake-Ready/dm/view_id.1084341 $175

MO60D1 $134 6000# FLIP LATCH BRAKE COUPLE FOR DISC BRAKES FOR BLOCKING SOLENOID
BRAKE COUPLERS

Disc Brake Kits:

I can either get the disc brake kits with SS brake lines which ends up being roughly $60-70 more in either set or I can get the disc brakes without the lines and purchase the Tie-Down rubber lines

Rubber lines:
Single Axle Brake Line Kit - Tie Down Engineering 80326 - iboats $62

DMX20 5 LUG DEEMAXX INTERGRAL DISC BRAKE KIT WITH 20' STAINLESS STEEL TUBE KIT $369.95 CHAMPION TRAILERS WEBPAGE FOR DEEMAXX DISC BRAKES AND DEEMAXX DISC BRAKE PARTS

or

K1520DB 5 LUG KODIAK DACROMET INTEGRAL BRAKE KIT WITH 20' STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINE KIT $399.95 CHAMPION TRAILERS WEBPAGE FOR KODIAK DISC BRAKES AND KODIAK DISC BRAKE PARTS

In any configuration I should buy this:
REVERSING SOLENOID VALVES $49.95

At the low end I'm looking at $501.90 with rubber lines, the Titan actuator, Deemax brakes, and the solenoid
At the high end I'm looking at $624.90 with SS lines, Tie-Down actuator, Kodiak brake kit, and the solenoid

Or, F all of this and get the Tie-Down kit which has everything w/ rubber lines, TowZone Complete Disc Brake Kit with Actuator : Amazon.com : Automotive for $411.23 I can also pay $3.99 to have it overnighted and be here for working on the trailer this weekend.

The Tie-Down kit ends up being roughly $100 cheaper and I am not even including shipping costs in these other things I have no idea what that's going to be.

So what is my best option here?

It would be cool to have SS lines but I'm not hauling a huge load so I don't think the performance increase would be noticeable at all, it would be nice visually but I really don't care about that.

Separate UNRELATED note: Reese Towpower 74410 Trailer Swivel Mount Jack : Amazon.com : Automotive this should work fine to replace the POS stand that's on it now, right?

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I dont know what the best way to go is. I know what I did and my experience so far. I do not think the brakes get used very much anyway. THey are surge brakes, and with a 21ft boat, unless you are hitting your brakes hard all the time, they wont be engaged every time you stop. I can feel mine engage when I do have to hit the brakes a little hard. So whatever you choose is better than none at all, IMHO

My Tahoe Q7 trailer had no brakes at all, and never did....... never had an issue.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If I had a better truck wouldn't even be here. The brakes on what I have suck. Everyone complained about them even when it was new.

'96 GMC Yukon.

Rear drums and the conversion kit to disc is like $500-600 :(

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I towed my Q7 with the same exact vehicle.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So what is my best option here?

It would be cool to have SS lines but I'm not hauling a huge load so I don't think the performance increase would be noticeable at all, it would be nice visually but I really don't care about that.
Kodiak with stainless lines hands down. There is no performance benefit of the stainless lines. They don't rust though. Don't get the Tie Downs. No matter how much you spend on them, you will spend more in the long run.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You are all going to hate me but I have decided to go with the Tie-Downs. I realize most of you hate them for your own reasons but after reading forum upon forum it is split 50/50. Worst case I need to replace the disc kit in the future with a new brand for ~$200. And hey if it blows up on me, you all get to say "I told you so" :)

On the other note regarding the mount jack, no one said anything about it. You can see the one that is on the trailer now
boat_fullshot.jpg

Will Reese Towpower 74410 Trailer Swivel Mount Jack : Amazon.com : Automotive work OK and can I just put a jack or something to hold it in place and saw off the old one? It's welded as well...

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I must have missed the part about the jack. Is your jack welded on? Wow. That jack looks like it will work. What I did on mine was to attatch the trailer to the truck, removed old jack, then replaced with new one.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes it is welded on. So stupid. Both the factory actuator and the factory jack were welded on. That makes sense. I'll attach it to the truck and then get a blade cutter made for welds and hack it off and then replace it. By Saturday evening all of this should be completed :)

Very excited! I appreciate all the help you've all given me.

Anyone have any recommendation on whether I should use any thread sealant on the thread fittings, T-connector, etc.? It seems to be up in the air. Some people recommend using permatex liquid sealant, some swear by none. Everyone says not to use Teflon tape.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have never used anything. It should seal without. Its like people that insist on using some sort of sealant on a waterpump. Drives me nuts. That is what the gasket is for. If you need sealant to make it seal, you have done something wrong.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Those are compression fittings. You never do that on compression fittings of any kind.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If I didn't want to try and cut the actuator off the current tongue these are pretty common locally right? I am sure this is a 3x3 x 4' tongue.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check with a local trailer place. We have one in town that can get just about any part for a trailer that you could imagine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Measure the thickness of the steel and go to a steel shop.

You should be able to get the old actuator off. If you can't do it, a welding shop for sure can.

LVNeptune

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Getting it off and getting it off without looking like crap are two different things :D I am quite sure I can just chop off the actuator bracket but it will most likely look very blah