Repair Shop

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd like to get some opinions on this. A non-boat savy friend bought my 17ft 60hp aluminum boat back in Sept 2007. I advised when she bought it to get the carbs rebuilt and impeller replaced as precautionary measure. I struck up a conversation with an outboard repair shop owner last year and the guy really impressed me, so I reccomended the shop to my friend. The work was done back in April; and when I talked with the shop owner he said the engine was running great, he ran it in the test tank for an hour, compression was fine, everything was good as far as he could see. My friend said she put the boat in the water July 4th and couldn't get it to run. I ran over the following weekend and found a clogged vent cap, removed and it started right up. But was only firing on two cylinders. Determined it wasn't the spark pulg, but that was all I had time for. She took it back to the shop, and he told her no compression on one cylinder. When she asked what could have caused it, he replied "Nothing that I touched could have caused it." The problem I have with that statement is he rebuilt and adjusted the carbs. A lean cylinder is exactly what would cause that. And I'm thinking the compression check was done inside before he ran it in the test tank. I need to call this guy tomorrow morning, any comment or opinions on the situation would be appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Repair Shop

did she wait from April till July 4th to run the motor?

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats what she says. As a favor I picked up the boat for her from the repair shop and delivered it to her house thinking it would be in the water for a run fairly soon. I think towing still scares her a little. So now I'm kicking myself for not dropping the boat in the lake for a quick run the day I picked it up.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

So it's been 2 years since she bought it from you? Some years on when the events occured would be helpful. She should have ran the motor as soon as she got it back from the shop. I have never seen a plugged vent cap prevent a motor from starting. They will usually start then create a vacuum and quit. If ths happened she very well could have run one side lean and scored the rings. How long did she attempt to start it once it died? Not good to repeatedly crank a hot engine with no lubrication. Everything is warm and expanded, can make a bad situation worse. Sucks when it's a freind but it sounds to me like she did it herself. Was it only firing on 2 cyl, or running on 2 cyl? In other words do all 4 have spark? I would have clear concense on this one. If I sold someone a car and they came back 2 years later and told me they just tried to start it up for the first time yesterday and it wouldn't run, I would have to laugh.

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm curious on why you told her at the time of sale that the carbs needed to be rebuilt. That's not something normally done, unless there is a problem. You say as precautionary, were you detecting a problem and sold it that way?
Be real careful with just any shop doing your work. I went through a V6 outboard that had just had the carbs rebuilt by a previous "outboard" shop. When I checked their work they had the wrong size jets in the wrong carb throat. The manufactures shop manual called for different size jets depending on right or left side of carb on this motor.