Repair or replace '77 stern drive that is weeping oil- already replaced sea pump.

mfelthousen

Seaman
I have a '77 Starcraft with the Mercruiser 120, which I've been restoring. The stern drive is leaking from the front weep hole. I replaced the water pump and the issue is still present (also replaced the 'o' ring between the upper/lower half). I've been trying for a couple weeks to get mechanics in my area to even respond, and so far the only answer I've had is the housing "might be cracked, so the whole unit needs to be replaced".

I don't have much time left this season to work on this (so much for getting my first splash in this year), and I don't have enough experience with stern drives to feel confident in digging further into this myself. Does anyone know of a good Mercruiser mechanic in the Cleveland OH area?

A new SEI is tempting, just to get the warranty. The trim rams are starting to stick and probably should be rebuilt or replaced, I'm also wondering whether there is any benefit to going with a newer model/generation of stern drive. This is a 1.98R unit.

Thanks,
Mat

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you replaced the water pump base correctly and used the correct gasket then its more likely coming from the shift shaft bushing in the lower unit. Remove the lower unit and pressure test it.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You have an 'R' model drive. The latest model drive you can get to replace it is an Alpha One... The Gen IIs will not bolt up... And the ratio you will get with a new Alpha One drive will be a 1.94:1, close enough to your current ratio to not make any difference.

Leaking from that weep hole can also be the upper drive shaft seals leaking... Have a read of this... http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...ve-leaking-oil

Chris.......

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Leaking bellows are a different issue. If you can replace the water pump, you can at least pressure test the drive and see what you're dealing with. Obviously if time if more important than money, can't go wrong with a new drive.

mfelthousen

Seaman
I ended up replacing the shift shaft seal, and the leak is gone. I was able to take the boat out for the first time since I bought her, and ran for about 1.5 hours before other gremlins surfaced (fuel delivery, but that's a different story). Thanks everyone!