Repair options for companionway hatch

FrankyB

Seaman
I recently purchased a 1989 Four Winns 315 Vista that has a sliding plexiglass hatch (looks like plexiglass) that is molded. The sliding hatch was held into the sliding frame by screws that are drilled through the cover. This cover has broken glass around the screw holes. Can these covers be glued or built back up? the broken off pieces are not available. Thanks!

Ned L

Commander
Typically 'plexiglass' (acrylic) can be glued with cyanoacrylate glues (superglue). Have to be careful though, ANY smears can be pretty much permanent.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class
Best thing to use is an acrylic solvent to glue it back together. I have used this in the past for making safety guards from acrylic. Also depending on how the hatch is formed you might find a local plastics shop and see if the can remake the piece. I did this with the companion way hatch and door on mine.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Missing the cracked off bits....

To suggest fixes we probably need pictures.

I'll expect you need to saw off the edges and then add aluminum frame pieces to restore the width.

FrankyB

Seaman
Thank you all for your help. Scott, how bad did they hit you in cost to refabricate the companionway door?
Frank