repair of fender

racetrack

Seaman Apprentice
this may be off topic but need advice , had someone back into the fender on my ford dully at the ramp the other day and cracked it what would be a good expoxey to try , tried a couple of things from pepboys but nothing they have seems to work , any body repair guy's out there that could help with this. I have seen guy 's use fiber glass but that always looks like cr--- and just cracks again in a couple of weeks.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: repair of fender

this may be off topic but need advice , had someone back into the fender on my ford dully at the ramp the other day and cracked it what would be a good expoxey to try , tried a couple of things from pepboys but nothing they have seems to work , any body repair guy's out there that could help with this. I have seen guy 's use fiber glass but that always looks like cr--- and just cracks again in a couple of weeks.

If your fender is fiber glass it would work very well, but if it's plastic I have heard the epoxy works well. Fill it in on both sides then sand down. It may be worth it to take it into a mom/pop auto body place and ask what they would charge. Wife's car had a fender skirt damaged and I bought the part. Then looked around to find some paint and wound up talking to an body shop. He fixed, painted and installed it for me for a lot less then I ever dreamed it would be.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I get little tubes of some sorta epoxy called Structural Adhesive, at my local Napa,...

It's the stuff body shops use to glue plastic cars back together,...

Donno if it's what ya need, but it may well be,....

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Odd you posted this today. Yesterday I needed some more reducer for some paint I was shooting. So I went by the auto paint shop in my area that I buy all my paint supplies from and while there I was looking over some of the different products they have. They have a two part compound that is used exclusively for what you are looking for. It is made just for those type fenders and bumpers too. Might look around your area for an auto-body paint shop to see if they have that same stuff. I didn't see what it was actually called or who even made it. but there has to be other manufacturers of that same type mixtures... :joyous:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Depending on how big a break it is, you might be better off purchasing a new fender and having matched to your truck, that is what I did when it happened to me and it really was not as expensive as I thought it was going to be.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've used G-flex epoxy and fiberglass to make repairs on whitewater paddles and boats. If it will hold up to that it would likely be fine on a fender.

dolluper

Captain

Ifin it;s cheap to fix.....fix it......if not replace....only you know what your time and sweey-ups are worth