Removing wax marks from gelcoat

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
What is the easiest way to remove dried wax marks from gelcoat?

My 16yr old son has been working at our local docks as hired hourly help and a captain hired him to wax a very expensive sport fishing boat, unfortunately the captain handed him a bottle of liquid non-cleaner wax and said go to it with no other instruction. So my son applied the wax by hand with a terry pad, but now it won't come off and you can see all of the wax marks, as if someone put the wax on but didn't bother to wipe it off. I'm not sure if he just didn't get it off in time in the hot sun, or if the gelcoat is oxidized and just hanging on to the wax, or if the humidity that day kept it from hazing fast so he thought it was wiped clean but some was actually left, but it has been in the sun now for a few days so it's really baked on. What's the easiest way to remove that? My son is a super hard worker and is really trying to fix it, we just can't figure out the safest way to get it off without having to hire a professional to polish the whole boat.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have done similar at a young age.Have him use a cleaner wax or polish and do a small area and wipe it dry before it cures.Wax on wax off method .So he will actually be waxing off the older recently applied wax.Just be sure to wipe it off immediately.Some waxes can be left on and will still easily be removed and some cannot..Professionals use a rotary polisher however your son is not a professional so he can practice and learn on his own boat and not "a very expensive sport fishing boat".Ask him exactly what he used on the hull??? Some of the new hybrid liquids are not actually wax or polish but are a coating and will leave marks especially if the gelcoat is colored.Charlie

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the largest area you can wax in the sun is a 1 foot by 1 foot area. Waxing is best done on the shady side of the boat

use one of the marine dewaxers, wash with dawn dish soap or mary kay on&off

then re-wax

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yeah. If the gel oat was chalky, it’s a bugger to wax without compounding first. Even at that it may not turn out perfect. Take the previous advice and good luck. We are all pullin for ya.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys for the replies. The captain hired a pro to go over it so we're all good. It's a 68' boat so there was a lot to do. Fortunately the captain realized he didn't give any instructions and the wax he gave my son is not good in the sun, so it appears there are no hard feelings.