Removing Stuck Tilt Tube - Johnson 90 HP

GSX455

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For anyone who was in the unlucky situation. My engine would not tilt and the motor was straining. The tilt tube was corroded to the motor frame and would not rotate by hand.
I had to get that out without mushrooming the threads. Heating the outside frame with a torch did very little. I tried using Kroil, which is a great penetrating oil. It just budged a little. then I had the crazy idea of shrinking the tube while heating the frame. When the tilt tube has ice forming on the outside, heat the engine frame with a torch and the outside expands while the tube shrinks. I used Kroil and kept adding drops to the right hand side of the frame, see photo. I used a bolt with washers that fit in the tube, and then hit the bolt head with a sledge to drive the tube out. In the 3rd image you can see the bolt with washers and a soft aluminum nut. Its a good idea to clamp the outer frame to the to keep the motor frame from spreading and cracking. Once the tube is removed, it's VERY corroded. I used 100 grit sandpaper on some 7/16" dowel, then 220 grit to make it finer. I sanded down the old tube and smeared grease on the the tube and the inside of the frame. The old tube just slid back in the frame - nice! I tapped it in with a hammer.
I hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• Threaded hinge.JPG
    Threaded hinge.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Dry Ice tube.JPG
    Dry Ice tube.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Tube out.JPG
    Tube out.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Inside frame tube.JPG