Removing / replacing non-adjustable fuel screws - 1999 Honda 50HP

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Can anyone tell me how remove the non-adjustable fuel screws and replaced them with adjustable fuel screws on a Honda 50HP motor (same as the 40HP)? Do you have to break off the screw head then remove the rest with an extractor? The space is too small to get in there with a dremmel to cut the tab off, without also cutting the carburetor body a bit. The OEM screws have a tab that limits movement to about 1/8 turn (see picture) and I sure would like to be able to remove these to clean and adjust properly.

Attachments

• photo311692.jpg
    photo311692.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 0

ahicks

Captain
If you mess with that screw much, you'll likely break it right off. They're designed to do that if you can believe it. I've dealt with that mess's aftermath twice now, using a small Dremel milling bit. It's about 3/8" diameter, and you need to be really careful to do a stealthy job to mill a slot deep enough for the needle to be removed - just one time! If you hit the carb doing that process it's not THAT big a deal. With the old one out, you then order a set for an older (pre 2000 I think) motor and you're back in business. -Al

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Indeed I believe you because I broke one off a couple years ago trying to get it out, lol. They obviously didn't screw it in at the factory with that tab on it, so either they pressed it in as an assembly, or they put a screw in and the part with the tab is epoxied on. In any event, I tried pulling it out and it broke off flush, so I just left it at that point. I wonder if a tiny little screw extractor kit, like this one, would work?

https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-St...prefix=screw+extra,aps,169&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

It seems possibly easier than trying to get in there with a dremmel.

Interestingly, the parts fische shows a regular screw needle for my year motor. I think I'll order one just to see what comes. If it fits, then I'll attack the rest of them in the same way. #6 in in this listing:

http://ww2.iboats.com/Carburetor/dm/cart_id.256343770--session_id.644440201--view_id.1326852

ahicks

Captain
I don't know how those caps are installed originally.

For the price, one of the extractor kits might be worth a try.

Cutting a slot for a screwdriver is really not too bad if the carb is loose. You can position it and the Dremel just right.....

With the carb in place, extractor may be a better try. I've had so many of these carbs off, I can have a set off, cleaned, and back on in about 2 hours, pretty much in my sleep. Point being, I rarely think in terms of working on a carb while still installed!

Whatever you do, just remember it only has to work one time, well enough to remove the needle. Once out, you're on your merry way.