Removing Paint From Fibreglass

Belchy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys<br /><br />My boat has its original name painted on the stern, and I want to remove it. Whats the best way to do this without damaging the hull, can it be scrapped off or need to be removed with a chemical cleaner. Thanks in advance for the response.<br /><br />Belchy

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removing Paint From Fibreglass

If it is actually paint, you could carefully color sand it off. Paint removers will soften the gel coat.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Paint removers will soften the gel coat.
This absolutly true!!! "BUT"! <br /><br />I have used paint removers to do what you are wanting to do, the paint is a cheap paint and usually very thin. Just do a couple of letters at a time, paint it over the letters with a small brush, when the paint blisters up, scrape it off with an old credit card. Wipe the rest off with laguer thinner. Then move on to the next couple. You would have to apply a very thick coating and leave it there for a very long time to do any damage.

Belchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the response guys, I will give it a try this week and let you know how it goes<br /><br />Belchy

LubeDude

Admiral

Please be very carefull if you use my method, you might want to try just a very small spot first.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You should also expect that the gelcoat under the lettering will look different from the surrounding gel-coat due to exposure to weather.