Removed spark plugs and still can't get pistons to move in 3.0L Alpha I

halcrimm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Errrrrrrrrr. Ok, temper tantrum over. Now. I have learned that being a newbie can be frustrating because you listen to everyone trying to absorb all the information that you can and it gets quite confusing.
So, here it goes. I was told to try and get the pistons to turn using a ratchet but the motor mount is in the way of the ratchet hole. I did make sure that the spark plugs were removed prior trying to move the pistons because I would never get past the compression, which makes sense, but still can not pull the belt to get anything to move.
I was then told to spray WD-40 in the spark plug holes and let it sit then try moving the belt to get the pistons to move. Still can not move them and am now wondering if the WD-40 was a good idea. Was told it would smoke like the dickens when it start but would burn off.
How do you get the ratchet in past the motor mount. I do see were the port side of the engine motor mount is removable but the distance between the front of the mount and the ratchet hole doesn't change.

I am glad you guys are patient.:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Hal

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Removed spark plugs and still can't get pistons to move in 3.0L Alpha I

Have you ruled out the drive unit? You can remove it and see if its the drive or the engine. Some times you can put the boat in gear and stand or bounce on one blade of the prop. If you feel a very slight movement of the prop the problem is in the engine. The engine coupler will give about 1/8 of an inch if your as heavy as I am. ;)

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Little more info on what and why..... you are trying to move the pistons!

Couple things to try....... Pull the drive off first......then all the spark plugs....then bump with the starter.

Just trying to get more info for the experts.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Can never understand why people still say to use the nose bolt.4`s and 6`s dont have one.V6 and V8 do, but you stand a very good chance of shearing off the bolt in the crankshaft,and then your really up a creek.
Isolate the trouble, remove the outdrive.Use the starter to bump the motor over.
Remove the starter and use a prybvar or large screwdriver to move the flywheel.
Get a used input shaft, weld a T onto it and a pipe extention,
Sometimes you can wedege something in between the 4 bolts on the waterpump pully.a long screwdriver, etc.
Why do you think the pistons are stuck? not winterized,overheated?