Remove lower unit for Merc 45

A. Dumas

Recruit
First time user here...<br />1985 Mercury 45HP, I am trying to drop the lower unit to get at the impeller. I've removed what looks to be all the relevent nuts and bolts. Five total. One at the trim tab, one inside the trip tab cavity, a nut just forward of the tab, and a nut on each side. After some gentle aggression she just barely drops down, 1/2" maybe.<br />Am I missing something?<br />Figured I better check with in with ya folks for an opinion before going back out and trying some brute force and ingnorance!<br />Thanks...

its-a-sweater

Seaman
Re: Remove lower unit for Merc 45

I'M NEW HERE AND DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT MERC'S. DID YOU UNHOOK THE SHIFT SHAFT?<br /><br />TAKE A LOOK AT WHERE THE CONTROL CABLES GO INTO THE COWL. YOU'LL SEE THAT ONE OF THEM SHIFTS THE ENGINE. THE LINKAGE SHOULD BE HOOKED TO SHAFT THAT GOES DOWN INTO THE LOWER UNIT.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Remove lower unit for Merc 45

Dumas, the fact that it dropped at all means you got all the relevant fasteners...the shift shaft [and driveshaft] are splined and slip apart, no unhooking needed...there is a large rectangular aluminum tube just behind the water pump....is an exhaust tube that goes into the lower unit with a large rubber seal....this seal is probably stuck on the tube an holding it up...try prying the tube back and forth to loosen...gently, of course...once off, just shove the exhaust tube back up in the mid section..it will self align.