Removal of 5.7

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer
Hey Guys:

I have been struggling with the main wiring harnes plug and it doesn't want to come appart.:mad: I don't want to break it as I don't know what it looks like under that boot.

Any ideas?

IMG_0043720.jpg

I'm going to look in the manual to see if I can find a diagram or a break-down of the plug.

Thanks.....

Ken

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removal of 5.7

Didn't find anything. I'm thinking it just pulls appart. Could it just be stuck on. Does the boot slide back or is it a mouulded plug?

Ken

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It just pulls apart. Use a bent screwdriver or some other tool to gently pry between the rubber boot and the mount to see if that loosens it.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Here's what the plug basically looks like when you get it apart:

$(KGrHqEOKiME6Unl7hf9BOuq+Lj((!~~60_12.JPG

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Thats what I wanted to see. Thanks Fisher. I figure its corroded pretty bad.

Well I have all the bolts, hoses and wires removed. Just need to get that plug apart and out she comes. If anyone thinks of any tips while I try to get that plug apart, that would be great.....

Thanks

Ken

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Got it apart. Pretty corroded. Going to pick up hoist and then try to figure out how we will get it out of there. Might have to lower the boat to the floor.

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, got a couple of pictures and a couple of questions.

First, the pictures: photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo.jpg

Second, the questions;

In the third picture there are two wires with connecters on them. One is black, labled 204 and the other is green, labled 203. Any ideas what they are for?

Would this be a good time to change the lower sshift cable even if it is not showing any signs of needing to be replaced?

The enginne was removed to find and repair an oil leak. The front and rear seals seem fine, but the pan gasket seems to be twisted and not installed properly. The back of the engine. bell houssing and starter were all coverd with oil coming from the gasket. The front was installed in the same manner and seemed to be seeping oil aswell.

I guess I will take the pan off and check it out.

Any tricks to putting that orange one peice rubber gasket on?

Thanks.....

Ken

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

On the wires... just a guess - maybe the trim sender or limit.

One the shift cable. It will never be easier than now. Ought to check the drive bellows and gimbal bearing while you are at it.

On the gasket - it is REALLY hard to put a one piece oil pan gasket on wrong. Not a lot to say about that. Most even have inserts to keep from overtorqueing the bolts / nuts. Check to make sure the pan itself is not rusted out.

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Do I use any RTV in the corners. Checked the pan. The engine is not original and i suspect it leaked from the get go. The P.O. told me he dumped a jug of oil in the ski locker ( which seems unlikely) and thats why it was oily in there. What I think caused that was he never drainded the billage area and the water/oil went up there through those holes.

I beleive that gasket was never put in right. It was folded and twisted around the bearing and the timing cover.

Hopefully that is the problem....

Ken

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Good Morning Guys:

I have my Merc dealer trying to find this gasket. Any of you guys have a part number or a place to find it or a name......?

Flywheel cover.jpg

Thanks.....

Ken

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The part number is found under the flywheel cover for an inboard, the IO doesn't show it have no idea why.
But it sure looks like it should fit.
That is the Mercruiser PN in the picture.

Untitled3.jpg

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Don, but I think the hole patters aren't right. My Merc guy just phoned me back and said that part (27-86015) is for newer boats. Part# 27-96274 is the one I need, but it is discontinued.

How imporrtant is that gasket to be replaced. Its not ripped and completely intact, but it is soaked in oil. Can I put it together with the old gasket. I'm not sure what its purpose would be as there aren't any liquids there that need to be sealed.

Thanks....

Ken

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It was only there to prevent rattles. The cover is more to keep dirt out (and fingers) than anything. You don't really want that housing sealed and filling up with water anyway.

1979 Quartermasters

Chief Petty Officer

I decided to change the lower shift cable. I'm going to order one as soon as a little spare cash comes along. The manual says to get that tool for removing that nut on the outside of the gimble housing. Is this nessesary, or is there another way of getting that nut off?

In the mean time, I am removing all thee fuel and the fuel tank to have it steam cleaned and preasure tested. I also wanted to clean under and around it as well.

Here are a few pictures.

Can't find them at the moment and I have to go to work. I'll post them later....

Ken

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Depending on how old it is you might want to consider replacing the starter.