Removal and retrofit of hydraulic steering with twin Volvo 5.0 OSI-G engines.

Steve Oest

Recruit
I want to remove both power steering pumps from my twin 5.0 OSI-G engines and convert to hydraulic steering, Does anyone know how to Permanently remove the power steering pumps and add idler pulleys in their place? Belt size? Parts required?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Does yer motor have V-belts, or a Serp belt,..??

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would get that ram that bolts in place of the steering cable and keep the power steering...trust me, it's nice! Not sure what drives you have but on my Mercruiser its HC5328.

If you do decide to ditch the power steering, I'll warn you now that the Seastar HC5332 ram is a piece of junk and will not stand up to the prop torque of twin V8 engines. First time I throttled up on my 350s, the black collar that bolts to the tiller arm slid down the ram right to the bleeder and locked my steering dead ahead. Got back steering on engines but it was still a pain to put the PS back on and get the HC5328 ram like I should have in the first place. Seastar has done nothing to help, or respond to emails or calls on why the first ram failed but I wouldn't trust another one.