Remember, Saftey First,...

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Remember, Saftey First,...

Scary, and I wonder what those people that don't want to replace the floatation foam when restoring their boat think about this.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Scary, and I wonder what those people that don't want to replace the floatation foam when restoring their boat think about this.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing,.......

The authors group made a bunch of mistakes,.....Thankfully they got lucky,...

Makes for a good learning experience,....

The reason I put it in this forum is because I figured it gets the most traffic,.....

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Very good eye-opening read...

Let's hope that hind-sight isn't the only way we learn...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

It's not only the foam, but the way it's installed too.

I wonder about the boat builds on this forum that use loose foam like noodles and EPS foam below deck. The only link they have between a safe swamped floating boat and a floating debris field with a boat on the bottom or the lake is the decking fasteners. Did they use enough deck fasteners to keep the decking from ripping away from the framing with upward pressure on the bottom of the deck??? Just how many deck fasteners do you need and what kind of spacing between them do you need to withstand this upward pressure?

Sure, you can throw a handful of fasteners in a deck and it'll hold it down just fine for walking on... but when your boat starts sinking and you have loose foam below the deck the weight of the whole boat is going to be pushing up on the bottom of the deck!

Pourable expanding foam is self adhering and you don't have to worry about whether or not your deck is going to be able to hold it in.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Let's not turn this into a foam war,........

There were more than one mistake made by that fishing group,.......

They were lucky and we are lucky the author of the story told his story so we might learn from it and not repeat those mistakes,....

That is why I made the post in the first place,...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I agree..

This should not be about a build of a boat but the nature of being away from land on your own personal floatation device ( a boat ).

If the device fails you have to be growing gills or float like a duck.

Determine that before you start your motors up.

We just had a few kids drown this week from an overcrowded boat that went down.. NO REASON for that man !..

I get upset hearing stories of this nature when people think they have a good reason to go out and risk others lives .. only to find out that YOU killed a few kids because of Safety lack of Knowledge ! .. Pissises me off bad.

Dont get me started ..

YD.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Maybe I interpreted that blog wrong, but I can't help but think about that boat sinking when they're not supposed to sink.

To me that whole blog was about floatation, boat and personal. Had the floatation been in check on both accounts this thread wouldn't even be here.

It's just another case of people being overly optimistic... "the boat isn't going to sink so we don't need our PFDs".

I'm not an optimist nor a pessimist, I'm a realist and things like this really happen.

better to learn off someone elses mistakes than your own. i know my boat has foam everywhere they could jam it so im not worried it will sink but im not looking forward to a 6-8 hr wait until the wife realises im not home. ive never read the flare packet to see how to use one i just bought them as it was on the required list so im going to learn something today.