Reliability of 1984 Chrysler 90hp outboard

Marine254

Recruit
I found a 1984 Chrysler 90hp for a very reasonable price and we want to upgrade the size of the motor on our pontoon. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if these motors are very reliable. The one I looked at starts right up and runs smoothly, but have not had it on a boat in the water. The guy will sell it to me for $400 because he works on boats and does not have a use for it. Here are my questions?

How reliable are these compared to, say, a Mercury?

What are the most common problems with this outboard?

Are parts available?

If repair parts are available, are they reasonably priced?

I understand that I am purchasing a used motor, so I am not expecting anything perfect. I do know, however, that some outboards are known for being more reliable than others. All feedback is appreciated!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Reliability of 1984 Chrysler 90hp outboard

Buy a Merc if you want to get there. Buy a 'Rude if you want to get back. Buy a Sears and rowback. LOL

Serriously, The 1984 Chrysler 90 is the last year these engines were badged as Chrysler. They are the de-rated four cylinder 105. Force continued the engine line but did not make a 105. They did make a three cylinder 90, a four cylinder 115, 120, and 125. All the four cylinder engines are basically the same block with minor changes and all are the Chrysler blocks.

As far as reliability, they are as good as any brand name. Yes, you may have trouble but in all probability, if you do basic maintenance the engine will serve you well for years.

Reasonably priced? have you heard the word BOAT: Bust Out Another Thousand? All outboard parts are relatively expensive. Even though the Force line of engines has been discontinued, parts for your (soon to be) Chrysler are still available but sometimes you need to be a little creative in searching. For example: You can use some Mercury props.

Most common problem is with CD boxes going bad and no spark followed by melted pistons due to owner mishandling of carb settings. Seems like most guys love to play with the carbs and without the proper knowledge they set them too lean.