Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This is going to be a very cozy spot for your fuel tank! Nice work!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thanks GX....BTW, Nice Splash Sir! And thanks for the support.

On a little note, just some fyi. We use alot of qrt and pnt. containers when we mix. Just wanted to let you know most of them can be reused. Keep costs down. Use up whats in the container then flip it over to drain out and let dry. Even the containers with pb can be reused. Let all dry out to hard. Squeeze the sides punch/tap the bottoms of the plastic containers and usually the rest follows. Pick and pull it out. Sounds silly dumb but it works on the HDeblow plastic containers, not sure of utter mfg's.

[/URL

[URL=http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/kcassellsplmb/media/6-1-17/20170603_175835_resized_zpsphb77knl.jpg.html]

Sometimes I'll leave the mixing stick in there and when it sets up the whole liner comes out.

KC

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Looking great KC. I also found myself reusing containers I even reused some of the 2 part foam containers ( scary thing is I also used to leave sticks in to aid in removal) Great minds think alike

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thanks guys for all the support. Did a little more puzzle work to see how things will fit. Kinda exciting for me.
Did a fake tank and deck fishy holder install;

I have some serious stringer gauging to fit the floor storage. Determined the mfg. put them in backwards from the start. Originally ther was @ 2" of stringer left under the storage. In the install now albeit the stringers get cut down under the storage they will be higher.
[/URL

And continuos;
[URL=http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/kcassellsplmb/media/6-6-17/20170606_180035_resized_zpsimthtvhf.jpg.html] [/URL

Just a little daydreaming. Opinions welcomed.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
kcassells
Nice bed for that tank. you have a flat bottom tank? how many gallons? If the tank is hull shape would you still need to close the bottom of the coffin or even build one? My tank has brackets on 4 sides. I assume would screw onto a stringer or cleat and be suspended. would I still need to make a box if if does not touch the hull?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
kcassells
Nice bed for that tank. you have a flat bottom tank? how many gallons? If the tank is hull shape would you still need to close the bottom of the coffin or even build one? My tank has brackets on 4 sides. I assume would screw onto a stringer or cleat and be suspended. would I still need to make a box if if does not touch the hull?

Yes this is a flat bottom tank, the other was a belly tank. Holds 73 gals. You ALWAYS have to enclose the tank, any kind in a "coffin" enclosure. Coast Gaurd Codes. Has to have it's own bottom and sides. The 4 brackets are only for some securing, The tank needs to be fitted in such a way that there is no movement. Various ways to achieve this. The welds of the brackets alnone will not hold the tank in place with all the sloshing and boat movement. Many times if not installed correctly or by themselves they fail. They are great to have and stabilize the tank to some degree.
The point of the box is to contain fuel in a seperate compartment thereby eliminating immediate opportunity for explosion.
A Boom.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
about 6.3 pounds

It seems impossible that a gallon of gasoline, which weighs about 6.3 pounds, could produce 20 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) when burned. However, most of the weight of the CO2 doesn't come from the gasoline itself, but the oxygen in the air.

Is the weight of fuel. So x 73 gals = 460 lbs. Yup... needs a solid floor to rest on in addition to front/rear bulkheads and sides. Now imagine that liquid sloashing arount in any size tank at 40 mph and chopping waves.
Oh my....and Oh yea, it's combustible. Geeeez.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So I got a little done. Starting working on fitting my stringer for the deck box. I have 2 to do so this is the rought fit. Still need to trim more for a nicer fit. The stringers are full height. When I tore the piggy apart the stringers behind the deck box were down to 1" then to 0" and never met the transom.
Just ordered another batch of EEEEEEEEEpppppppoxxxxxyyyyyyyyyy and cabosil. Glass is hanging in there for now. Also filled the other strake.
Will also being doing full glass in those areas to hull sides w/1700. Still need to do a lot of filets and tabbing.
May or may not be in order;
Alittle sloppy, will fix, I ran out of cabosil; Sat on it while it turned and worked what I had.
[/URL

I cut off all the bad along time ago and capped w/ EEEEEEEEEEpppooooxy with glass to match new floor;
[URL="http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/kcassellsplmb/media/6-12-17%20holding%20tanks%20and%20stringer%20trim/20170612_185125_resized_zpsoyg4d67k.jpg.html"]

Laid in striger to cut and fit;

Cut and fit a few times. Now waiting on batch order;

Scooby dooby doo says I!

Last edited:

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
Yes this is a flat bottom tank, the other was a belly tank. Holds 73 gals. You ALWAYS have to enclose the tank, any kind in a "coffin" enclosure. Coast Gaurd Codes. Has to have it's own bottom and sides. The 4 brackets are only for some securing, The tank needs to be fitted in such a way that there is no movement. Various ways to achieve this. The welds of the brackets alnone will not hold the tank in place with all the sloshing and boat movement. Many times if not installed correctly or by themselves they fail. They are great to have and stabilize the tank to some degree.
The point of the box is to contain fuel in a seperate compartment thereby eliminating immediate opportunity for explosion.
A Boom.

So in the case of a belly tank would you cut a belly coffin or a box coffin?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
That stringer only has resin on it. Yes I made a floor earlier in the post.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
That stringer only has resin on it. Yes I made a floor earlier in the post.

Ok. The coffin what i mean was if the tank was shape like the hull would you make the coffin in that shape v or would you still make it square.The tanks shape like a v-bottom

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
and yes you will need to build a "coffin" fordapiggy. No if ands or butts aboutdat.

demarko210

Chief Petty Officer
and yes you will need to build a "coffin" fordapiggy. No if ands or butts aboutdat.

LOL I will buddy just like picking your brain for some info and possibly some of that lasagna. This is the 41 gallon i have at the shop.

s-l1600.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
WEll....Happy Fathers Day to all you fathers! Supplies landed so time to get busy on my Fathers Day off time. I'll try to post some pics later. Grind, clean,EEEEEEEEEEEpppppoooxy, glass!