Rehab SportCraft 222 1983 deep V hull cuddy walkaround

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
OOOhhh yea I guess they are but like somethings always another challenge. Puters!!
So the darn ding seems to be running better than ever fingers X.
So here are some pics of the tank. I know she is an old beasty gal but maybe some things have to be said for that. I ran some 60 grit paper with my da sander to remove a limeish tint off the tank. It was very thin. I wonder if that what others have called the "aluminum oxidation" naturally?
Of course there is some small pitting on the exterior but not bad. The tank was supposed to be from fresh water. The 3# test worked perfectly so that is reassuring.
I'm gonna install in such a way that I will be able to pull out if at a later date I see any fuel leak issues. Going to bury her in a coffin with some deck plate access to fill, vent and sender but include a drain **** that will allow me to drain out {hopefully no moisture or fuel}.

I'll propably be taken the ole coot to a shop and add brackets.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Oh I almost forgot.... HAPPY SAINT PATS TO ALL, IRISH OR NOT!
s-l1600.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well not much but I cleaned off the rest of the green film. Tank is a champ. Still going to get a freind to add brackets. So the tank has me back on par. Started cleaning some chrome up and teak. The teal always comes up so nice, I use teak oil after the sand.
Glass and EEEEEEEEpoxy should be here tomorrow. Time to measure, measure twice, cut/fit and glass this tank in wit the stringers and bulkheads.
Yum, yum...eat um up!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Having FUN grinding me arse off today. Fabbed up my new floor for the gas tank. Some odd shapes to contend with but working out well. The original tank was a belly, the new is flat. Also got a chance to get rid of all the droppings I made over time on the hull floor. After this glass the stringers and bulkheads.
Getting rid of the junk;

Lots of it;

So the wood I had bought decided to warp. I made some kerfs then set it out in the sun, then filled with EEEEpoxy. Now it shaped to fit the area. First glass on the underside of tank floor;

Second glass then final;

Sanded out the entire hull. I found that I am able to put a 7.5" floppy disc on a 4.5" grinder. Made the work alot faster. Then I hosed off with soapy water and bleach.

So next is to fit the gas tank base in, fillet, glass.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looking good Kc !!
I'll bet ya had a hard time putting the guard back on the grinder huh .... :rolleyes:

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nice work Kev! Funny thing, I noticed somehow between pictures 3 and 4 your measuring containers turned into beer cans! :thumb: I like it when that happens. :D

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Oh you guys....
Thanks for your get backs. So I thought I had the grinding licked yesterday. Minor setback and sore back. Went out today and found mold and the EVIL black stuff coming thru the hull. Went to Home Deblow for some heavy grit for my palm sander. Wanted to do it less messy and started with that. 10 days later I figured I better get out the bad boy 7'ish pad. Glad I did. Also added some heat lamps to help cook out any moisture.
The UGLY

The BAD

The Fun of it all. Multiple applications on NEW acetone and bleach during sanding breaks. I was amazed that 1 area, no matter how much I sanded brought moisture up to the top and bled out all day.

A little betta

The old curves are from the other style fuel tank support. I'm going to pb the voids and reglass that area as well as the entire hull with some 1708. Wanted to do it today but
off to the store for some hammy and make a lasagna for the BUNNY.
Happy Easter to all and just cause.
KC

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nope 1700 no 1708..whoops. No lasagna either, 7# turkey breast and spiral hammy. Just wanna set the record straight. No need for 08 with EEEEEEEEEEpoxy!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
i went out this morning and applied the PB in the grooves of the old tank supports. Also some odd grind out and thru hull cuts got filled. Hilariously I went to step into an area to smooth out some PB and I caught the ice. That stuff had me nearly do a flip and fall in the boat. I just had to laugh at myself hoping noone from Iboats was in there watching me. Gonna get ready for Easters and visitors.

thru hull fix for the moment.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
glad to see ya getting it done man! what is this ice you speak of , we only has ice in drinks and coolers!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Oh WOW!!!! I'm soooooooo Happy to see you back working on her!!! Hope you had a GREAT EASTER and you and yours are doing fine!!! Look forward to your continued progress!!!
:encouragement:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Mike,
It's always Great to hear from you. The deal is always about economics and family. Things are better. I'm SO Happy too!
So had alitlle time to grind out yesterdays work, used EEEEEpoxy to sorta help the blends, fill some gaps with the pb. I've determined it's not molds but just crappy resin left between layers from mfg.
Next going to lay some glass under where the new tank wood deck will be then .....get everything squared up and start kicking some you know what.

Me Happy!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So while life surrounds us all, Special Moments touch each one of us.

I am a GrandFather again. Beautiful baby boy all is good and healthy!

Maybe I can get this critter on my boat one day.