Registration of used boat without title in Connecticut

Stoni

Cadet
My son-in-law just gave me a 17' Duracraft that he received from a mutual friend of ours. My son-in-law didn't have the time to restore this old boat and I was looking to purchase one for fishing the local harbor. My problem is that the mutual friend did not have or give my son-in-law any title papers. He has since passed on and the wife has moved out of state. The only history I know about the vessel is that it was last registered in 1995. I know this because the numbers were still on the boat when I got it. I have since sanded them off in preparation of painting the boat. I guess my question is, how difficult will it be to get this boat registered in Connecticut. I don't want to put a lot of time and money into it if I can't get to use it. Thanks in advance for any replies to this issue.

Stoni

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Registration of used boat without title in Connecticut

If the buracacy gets to much for you, look around for a title, anything that might come in the ball park. By all means try to do things on the up and up but sometimes the system works against you. Check back, maby I have one that will work. I never get ride of a title on a boat that disapperars. Suspect TASHASDADDY might have a few hanging around also. Never heard of hull nbrs. being checked on a boat although it might occure. FRED

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I highly recomend finding out what your options are, before spending a dime on restorations. I don't know what Connecticut's requirements are, but I do know that it is getting hard to register a manufactured boat in most states as "home made." For example, here in Louisiana, the boat must be inspected by the La. Dept of Wildlife & Fisheries, and they will ask for receipts for the materials used to make it.

While I understand the need to create barriers to the sale of stolen boats, sometimes (like in your case) these rules get in the way of giving new life to perfectly good boats.

Stoni

Cadet

Thanks, everyone for the replies. Pine Island, I doubt very much if I will go that way with this, but I appreciate the offer. I've never heard of anyone registering a manufactured boat as a Home-Made vessel, but that might be a possibility. Jay_Merrill, this is really a project boat and I haven't put too much into it except purchase a trailer for it to go on. I can always sell the trailer. This boat has nothing in it. No floor, no console, no lights and especially no motor controls. It IS, however, a nicely designed boat that I would really like to get ready for the water. I'll stop in at the DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) Monday and check out what options I have. I'll post again once I find out.

Thanks again to all

Stoni