Register trailer in nj

Chudwick

Cadet
The DMV is evil. They gave a list of things that I need to register my trailer and amazingly I had it all. Except of course proof of insurance. Boat US covers me for comprehensive but progressive, who actually covers it for liability, is saying the only way they'll give me any kind of documentation is if I drop Boat US and insure the boat with them instead. Has anybody on here registered a boat trailer in nj ?

Chudwick

Cadet
They make this incredibly difficult. I'm actually opening up its own insurance policy just so I can get it registered. Sad thing is it's already insured but I gotta pay again just to get it registered. I hate the DMV.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It isn't NJ that's evil. Progressive/BoatUS are the guilty parties to not supply you with proof of insurance.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Mod EDIT: the tax man and local LEOs would frown on that suggestion. You may, and may get by doing it, still should not be recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boatman609

Recruit
I have a couple of trailers registered in NJ. At no time did the DMV ask for proof of insurance. The also doesn't have to be insured to get it registered. Try a different office of the DMV. I use one a little further from my home which is MUCH easier to deal with. Good luck.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Mod EDIT: the tax man and local LEOs would frown on that suggestion. You may, and may get by doing it, still should not be recommended.
And I started reading my Insurance policy and the wording on the registration which states UTILITY TRAILER!