Refitting my trailer to my boat PLEASE HELP

wishboneZ51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everybody, I have my 1965 Glasspar Avalon in the restoration section. On Saturday I have the guys in my family come over in the morning to help me flip the boat hull back over and on to the trailer. I want to have the trailer done for the most part and do some final adjustments when the boats gets settled in the cradle.

Looking at my pictures, this is how they designed the trailer to launch the boat.

What I would like to know is what should I do in prepairing for the hull to rest back on the trailer? Should I change over to bunks? Should I just buy new rollers and use what it came with? If this was your boat and trailer how would you set it up. As of right now it looks like it is going to be hard to launch sense there is no guides on the sides!

Please Help!!!

IMG_2943.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg

D

DJ

Re: Refitting my trailer to my boat PLEASE HELP

It is best to have at leat 50% of the weight of the hull supported by keel rollers. The outboard bunks/rollers supplying support to keep the hull stable, on the trailer. Stability is the key. The boat needs to become "one" with the trailer.

That's the BEST scenario.

My trailer is a set up about that way. However, I suspect that over 50% of the weight is on the bunks. That's the way I wanted it. My trailer pulls smooth and launches without a glitch.

I spent a lot of money on trailer rollers (keel and bow stop). I went with Stotlz. They are expensive but I'll never have to replace them. Plus, they do not marr the hull, in any way.

I've towed this trailer over 3K miles, one trip, and have never had to really think about it. The boat and trailer are one and tow like a dream.

wishboneZ51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

EZMOBEE,

Yes your set up looks great, did you add those rails or was it equiped that way?

I would like to set mine up like that as well. But if you look at my pictures you can see these little feet that go up the port and starboard sides of the boat. Are these critical to have on my boat considering the shape of the hull. I am including a picture of it for reference purposes.

Should the bunks be angled or slanted from front to back? If 50% of the weight needs to be on the keel, the side bunks are just for side to side rocking motion correct? Meaning the boat sits on the keel and there is a little bit of play between the rails?

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

wishboneZ51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok Guys I went to Bass Pro Shop and pick up new hardware for the trailer and absolutely nothing fit, nothing at all. The bunks I got were 5 feet, and the rollers I got which was the expensive ones were 5 inches and the rollers I have on the unit maybe 6-7 inches. I am taking them with me to see what we can put together.

I measured from the tail rollers to the tips of those feet you see up front. It was 8 feet long. Now they go to the very outside of the boat. I was wondering if I should swing the front part of the rails in towards the keel or keep them outside what do you guys think would be best? It seems like it would be better for the launch if the front part of the rails came in!

I really dont like the way the bow mount is either. It just looks like it fits the boat wrong. When I was towing her home the v bow stopper was moving all over the place and going underneith the keel which was causing the damage. I was thinking of doing that double roller system which would have one roller below the crank and one above what do you guys think about that set up?

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can replace that rubber 'V' with a roller and have a much better fit. I had one on my Bass boat trailer and it was ok on shallow launches, but on deeper ones it was a pain. The bunks don't have to be very long as they mainly keep the boat from rocking. Your better off going to a trailer supply/builder to pick up parts. Bass-pro has replacements for lighter boats, but generally not what you need if your boat is older or a brand they typically don't deal with. Don't be afraid to make modifications where you feel they would help. I re-did both my trailers this summer and improved on a couple of areas thast I wasn't real happy with before. Good luck and if your not sure what you want to do a quick trip to a marine dealer to browse will give you some great ideas. Good luck

wishboneZ51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok gang so this is what I ended up doing to the trailer. I am putting brand new running boards on with carpet. They are going to be 7 feet long which will come out being the same length of the little feet that were in the front sides.

I also purchased brand new roller assemblies sense the old set up had rubber rollers that were an odd ball size. I welded them in place so I would not have to worry about them.

Now all I have left to do is install the carpet on the boards, install the boards, install the new electrical wireing and light kit.

I also painted the entire trailer today after doing a cleaning and rough sanding.

I hope tomorrow night I can have the guys back over and help me put the hull back on the new trailer.

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Looks good so far.

You should flip that bow stop over (upside-down) so the v stop is above the bow eye of the boat.
Adjust the height so the eye comes right up underneath the stop.

wishboneZ51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was messing with it a little today and I am just not happy with how they designed this set up. :(When I first picked the boat up I new there was something wrong with how it was postioned. I may have to do some more grinding and painting once I get the boat back on and the slats and adjusted correctly. But I agree it definately needs some attention.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sometimes its best to have the boat on the trailer when you adjust the rollers and bunks.