refit from three coil to two question

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the 1983 40hp johnson workhorse that I showed pictures of in an earlier thread. I've been looking at it and from what I see, I think that they have a smaller intake manifold and a smaller carb on it. I think it's basically a restricter setup and not a lower compression setup.

I think I can take the complete two coil electrical setup and the bigger intake, carb setup from an early 60's motor and plop it all right onto this motor along with all the linkage, And it should work just fine.

I noticed that the actual reeve plate is the same part number as a 1968 40hp,
So I believe that the engine is the same displacement and configuration as the older ones.

I hoping someone can confirm or prove this wrong. Thanks

workhorse.JPG

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: refit from three coil to two question

Your motor should be the last year of the powerhead rated OMC outboards (ICOMIA 28-83), so its hp rating v. actual power, should be the same as a 60s vintage 40hp Johnson. In other words, you should have an "apples to apples" comparison between the two motors, in terms of rated horesepower.

I also took a look at the ignition parts breakdown for your motor - it appears that any of the parts that are likely to need replacement, are still available. That being the case, why would you want to go from a charge coil/ignition coil setup, to the older magneto system. Further, if both motors produce the same power, why fool with the carb setup? If your thinking is that you hope to gain more hp from the motor, I doubt you would see much change, if any.

???

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually This is a work motor So I've heard people say, have lower compression. But I don't think that's the case, From what I can see so far Is the intake seems smaller. So maybe it's a restricter plate setup, And far as the electrics, I think it would be easier to put a starter on it because I have plenty of the older flywheels.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Maybe the workhorse designation is there to allow Johnny to offer a lower priced 40 hp because it has fewer whistles and bells than the standard 40 hp of that year......sorta like they did later on with a V-4 model I remember that they tagged an 88 rather than a 90 just because it had fewer bells, was cheaper to produce and market and just used the 88 to differentiate it from the 90 which sold for more and had more bells.

Or, all that smaller stuff you refer to may be in fact smaller, so you have the cubes of a bigger engine for pushing ability but choke it down to get the 40 hp. If that were the case then one would suspect that the powerhead would not be the same as other 40 hp's of like kind.......just speculation. Have absolutely no idea otherwise.

Mark