Reeds

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer
Block is in the machine shop getting bored and I am dinking around getting parts clean and painting getting ready to assemble. Out of the reeds I had from 3 powerheads...I was able to piece together a decent set. My question is..if a see a tiny bit of light through some of the reeds are they usable? The gaps are miniscule. They look ok to me but im no expert. I'd guess about one thousandth of an inch or less than one sixty fourth.

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Reeds

Boyosen do reeds for the force as well, although as mentioned by most people here, they may not be worth the $100.00 per set that you pay for them...... Just letting you know incase you wanted replacement ones.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

I was thinking about the boyeson power reeds but don't trust plastic.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I'd trust plastic long before I'd trust steel. Check out Chris Carson Marine or Tony Dukas Racing. If you call Chris, tell him Steve Schefer reffered you. Chris will cut you anything you want for any type of use.

~Nickolas~

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I highly recommend the Boyesen reeds. I installed these in a 60HP motor I have and they made an overall excellent improvement. Eaiser starting, throttle response, smoother throttle from idle to full power, more power, engine runs much smoother. I wouldn't run an engine without them compared to how the factory reeds made the engine run. Now my next set I may get the Reeds from Chris Carson Marine. Their reeds are single stage as Boyesen are dual stage reeds. They tell me their reeds will outperform Boyesen reeds so I don't know. I do believe though I will get a set for my Chrysler 135 OB and test them out. I seriously doubt they would give any negative results and if they are as good or better than Boyesen reeds well then I'll be very happy indeed...

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Boysens are a bolt on solution and because they are dual stage the requirement to lap the reed blocks is less. With either Chris or Tony's reeds you really should lap the reed blocks. With Chris you can usually send him your reed blocks and he'll replace them with blocks/reeds all setup and ready to go.

It takes me about 6 hours to hand lap, polish and install reeds on just one block so it's well worth the extra money to let Chris do it. There's definitly a noticible gain in performance and idle.