Redline Ford 302 Parts??!

Doolin

Seaman
Hello,

I just bought a 2000 Duckworth 19' Jet Sled.

I figured before I go out, I want to have a descent tool kit and a few spare parts. Cap and rotor I figured should be included in that list so I started looking.

This is where I learned that this motor (Redline Ford 302) isn't just a truck motor. I've spent days searching and can't find anyone that lists parts for 'ford' or 'redline'.

Am I looking the wrong way (should be searching by some other name) or are there really very few sources for parts?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Redline Ford 302 Parts??!

I have heard of most engine marinizeres, but never heard of Redline. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just means I never heard of them. Is the the original engine in the boat? Sure it's not a KEM, Kodiak, Marine Power or something like that?
One other problem you will run into is that Ford got out of gas engines in the marine industry sometime in the 90's not sure when.

Doolin

Seaman

Hey Don,

Redline is casted into the exhaust manifolds and is printed on the Air Intake filter. None of the other names you listed are on the boat or any paperwork I have.

I'm pretty sure the engine is original (not positive)... the boat was built in 1999 and is a model year 2000.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I'm bettin' Redline didn't build the distributer,...
It should be tagged somewhere, or stamped #s...

The sparkplugs are obvious, they have #s,...

The carb,+ fuel filters should be easily identifiable,...(or is it EFI ?)

I've never heard of Redline either,... Probably a small local northwestern jet builder,...
Like Kodiak,... Only smaller yet....

Doolin

Seaman

I hit up the auto parts store on the way home... needed a couple other things anyway.

The guy at the counter said the same thing about the distributor... that the manufacturer and maybe even a model number is likely stamped on the side of the distributor.

He had a brief discussion with the other guy at the counter and they were aware of 'marine built' distributors but didn't think that the cap and rotor were different from the automotive version (like the starters and alternators that have special shielding).

Anyone disagree with their assumption?

And yes, this one is carburated.

Don S

So far, no one here even knows what you have, let alone the distributor. Post a picture so we can see what we are dealing with.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Doolin

Seaman

I have contacted Duckworth with other questions and they have been able to answer. My expectation is though... that the dealer is the best place to go if you want to pay 2-5 times the going rate. I consider dealers to the very last resort... well past posting on iboats.

Here's a few photos of the motor:

DSCI0206.jpg

DSCI0205.jpg

DSCI0204.jpg

DSCI0203.jpg

DSCI0202.jpg

And... the boat:

<
DSCI0200.jpg

Don S

All that info from Duckworth, and not a single word about Ford.
Would bet they say they either sold the Fords or no longer support them.

Bondo

Staff member

He had a brief discussion with the other guy at the counter and they were aware of 'marine built' distributors but didn't think that the cap and rotor were different from the automotive version

Ayuh,... The Catch with that statement is,... You need the cap,+ rotor that fits That distributer,...
The odds are quite high that because the distributer base is Marine specific, So is the cap,+ rotor....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I have contacted Duckworth with other questions and they have been able to answer. My expectation is though... that the dealer is the best place to go if you want to pay 2-5 times the going rate. I consider dealers to the very last resort... well past posting on iboats.

I didn't mean "go to the dealer" and have it done there....

Contacting Duckworth would put you with someone that can tell you what cap, rotor, and other ignition parts you can actually use. Chances are, you can buy those normal parts from NAPA. Redline probably didn't manufacture their own distributor.

Also, it appeared that Duckworth has a forum not unlike this one and there, everyone is talking about Duckworths! new and old......Ford and Chev.

Bondo

Staff member

Contacting Duckworth would put you with someone that can tell you what cap, rotor, and other ignition parts you can actually use. Chances are, you can buy those normal parts from NAPA. Redline probably didn't manufacture their own distributor.

Ayuh,... My guess is that Info is right On the distributer,...

I can see some #s stamped on it by the orange hose in the 3rd picture down....
Probably a Tag riveted to the other side with the Name of the manufacturer....

Looks like she's seen some Saltwater,... Pretty Rusty.....

Plain ole Holley carb,...
Little electrical box behind it probably mimics the Merc. set up,...
Might have an extra solenoid if it uses a Ford style starter....

I don't see anything I couldn't get at my local Napa, either off the shelf, or overnight....

frank246

Petty Officer 1st Class

looks like a prestolite with screw down cap and holley 600cfm

Doolin

Seaman

I didn't mean "go to the dealer" and have it done there....

Also, it appeared that Duckworth has a forum not unlike this one and there, everyone is talking about Duckworths! new and old......Ford and Chev.

Ah... you're probably right... and I didn't know they had a Duckworth owner's forum. I'll check that out.

Ayuh,... My guess is that Info is right On the distributer,...

I can see some #s stamped on it by the orange hose in the 3rd picture down....
Probably a Tag riveted to the other side with the Name of the manufacturer....

Looks like she's seen some Saltwater,... Pretty Rusty.....

Plain ole Holley carb,...
Little electrical box behind it probably mimics the Merc. set up,...
Might have an extra solenoid if it uses a Ford style starter....

I don't see anything I couldn't get at my local Napa, either off the shelf, or overnight....

Yes on the salt... I think the previous owner used it primariliy in Puget Sound. I intend to do the same as well as a few rivers.

Is there any problem swapping the rusty exhaust manifold bolts with Stainless? That coil looks really bad too. Was considering replacing it with one of those shiny chrome ones. Anyone know if the coils have any special marine shielding? Paint is flaking off the exhaust manifold... figured I'd clean that up really good and hit it with an engine enamel.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Don S

DO NOT get chrome anything if you even think about going near salt water. They rust faster than anything else. You need to get the proper coil for your type distributor, you do have a Prestolite with a screw down cap, but it's hard to tell if it's a points type or the Prestolite BID electronic distributor. Different coils ya know.
I wouldn't get SS bolts for the manifolds either, from the looks of things, they are aluminum which will not last long in salt water, and will take out the engine if you aren't careful. SS bolts through Aluminum is a recipt for frozen bolts.
Clean the rust, pull the bolts, clean them up put some permatex aviation gasket sealer on them and reinstall. They will be fine

Doolin

Seaman

DO NOT get chrome anything if you even think about going near salt water. They rust faster than anything else. You need to get the proper coil for your type distributor, you do have a Prestolite with a screw down cap, but it's hard to tell if it's a points type or the Prestolite BID electronic distributor. Different coils ya know.
I wouldn't get SS bolts for the manifolds either, from the looks of things, they are aluminum which will not last long in salt water, and will take out the engine if you aren't careful. SS bolts through Aluminum is a recipt for frozen bolts.
Clean the rust, pull the bolts, clean them up put some permatex aviation gasket sealer on them and reinstall. They will be fine

I didn't know about chrome rusting either... thanks for that. Do I have to take the distributor apart to figure out if it's points or BID Electronic?

The suggestion on the gasket sealer... you put that on the outside... where it's rusting, to seal it against the salt?

Thanks again.