Rectifier wiring question

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer
Hi<br />This is going to be a difficult one, but here goes.<br /><br />I went to replace the rectifier on my motor, (J55EL80C), but can't identify which wires go where. The old rectifier had one red wire, a plain yellow wire, a yellow wire with a grey stripe and a yellow wire with a blue stripe. My new rectifier is an aftermarket part and it just has one red wire and three plain yellow ones.<br /><br />Is there any way of identifying which yellow wire is which? <br /><br />The rectifier is one of a few parts I'm replacing in the hope of preventing possible future problems. I've just replaced the powerhead, so I've also fitted a new water pump, new carb kits, new powerpack, and now I want to replace the rectifier. As I fish offshore I figure that I'd rather replace the parts before they fail than have them fail while at sea!<br /><br />Any help with identifying the wires would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Steve

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Rectifier wiring question

It doesn't matter which yellow one is which. They are the AC inputs to the rectifier. The red one is the positive output and the rectifier case is negative. That was an easy one.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The wire locations are usually identical. Turn both rectifiers upside down and compare. That should give you some idea as to which one would be the yellow/blue.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Steviecops,<br /><br /> Could this be a double oxy-moron ?<br /><br />Like country western music,and military intelligence.<br /><br /><br />BIG GRIN TO ALL.<br /><br />you want to install aftermarket parts,ask how to wire them,and tell us you are going out to sea to try them out.?<br /><br />DHP

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info.<br /><br />DHPMARINE<br />Does that mean that after market rectifiers aren't any good?<br /><br />Cheers<br />Steve

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Steve.... For what it's worth, I've never had a problem with them.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Joe, that's good enough for me.<br /><br />All the best<br />Steve

DHPMARINE

Captain

What I was getting at was with original parts,you don't have problems such as wire color changes (or guesses).<br /><br />But as BRP seems to drop the ball more and more,I admit I'm using aftermarket items,more and more.<br />But as I try them (and sell them to my customers, ), I really wish I could get the original part.<br /><br />DHP