Rectifier/Regulator

1900clueless

Cadet
While chasing a (How to test Rectifier/ Regulator) in this forum. Disconnect Gray wire from Tack, and connect to Y/G wire from Starter if Tack works R/R is bad. While trying this test, I disconnected G wire,. started motor and the Tack worked with out connecting to Y/G wire .Connecting to Y/G had no effect ether way Gas and water gauges continue to not work. Do I need a new R/R or is something else going on?? 1996 Johnson V4 115hp

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The tach depends on a good rectifier/regulator to provide the correct signal to drive the tach. Most other gauges derive their signals and power/grounds from the boat, not the engine.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You test the rectifier regulator by using a voltmeter on the battery with the engine off. Note the reading. Start the engine and idle it up to 1500 - 2000 rpm and repeat the voltage check. If the reading is in the 13.5 - 14.5 volt range (somewhat higher than the first test) the charging system is working. If it is not, before buying a new unit, verify all the connections are clean (shiny bright) and tight. That applies to both ends of the cables. If the charging system is working but the tach is not, then the wiring to the tach is bad. The tach needs +12 volts (key on), a good ground, and of course the signal from the stator. If you were following the instructions, why disconnect the "G" (ground) wire on the tach. It needs that connection to work properly.

1900clueless

Cadet
G = Gray, Y/G = Yellow/ Gray, I should have been more clear, how ever by disconnecting Gray wire, the tach, was reading, but seamed to be a higher reading than it sounded. Days of looking at diagrams and reading I'm more confused now than I was. I will check with volt meter and post another reply. Thanks